Zimbabwe Ruins and the Rhinos


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
August 25th 2007
Published: September 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Following on from Antelope Park, we travelled down to Bulawayo. On the way, we stopped at the Great Zimbabwe Ruins which were pretty impressive. They have been standing since around 1200-1500 AD, so a very long while, although all evidence of people once living there like the mud huts are no longer standing. We walked upto the top of them where the king used to live. A very long walk and in the hottest part of the day! Wouldn't like to repeat that experience!

Afterwards, we arrived at the campsite and filled ourselves up on take away pizza. Yum yum. Then we drank and played card games into the early hours of the next morning. A good night!

Next morning we drove to Matopos National Park to search for white and black rhinos. It was a very interesting day and we learnt quite a lot, especially some astonishing facts like that rhinos eat two thirds of their body weight each day and in return excrete about half. Sounds like they one hell of a lot of eating, thats the life hey! Each fully grown rhino also weighs between 1,500 and 3,000 tonnes - so watch out if they spot you, because you would definately get squashed! The advice is to run in a zig zag as they can only run straight, just in case any of you happen to have an encounter soon with a rhino, lol. By the end of the day we were lucky enough to have spotted 6 white rhinos which was great to see. Once we got down low in the bush we got really really close. Had a bit of a scary experience when one of them spotted my bright green jumper! Our guide had to get in between me and the rhino pretty quickly top stop him charging! Survived to recount the experince though so all was good. Unfortunately we did not get to glimpse a black rhino - which are very rare. Never mind.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb