Zimbabwe - Yay!


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
June 5th 2010
Published: June 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

IS THERE A FIRE IN ZIMBABWE?

As we approach Victoria Falls we see lots of smoke in the distance, but as we get closer we realise it isn’t rising as smoke should and it must be the Falls! They are so big we could see them from this far away way up in the plane - I’m so excited now!

As we come into land we see that the airport is literally a runway and a building in the middle of nothing - reminded me of a bigger, green lush version of the Serengeti Airstrip, minus the herds of animals.

After collecting bags (much easier this time) we head out to the endless stream of people offering you cars, taxis etc. We end up with one who will charge us $30 USD, so we’re on our way. Outside there are traditional dancers, we only watch long enough as we walk past, our driver has a good pace up.

OUR HOTEL - THE KINGDOM

The town is tiny, and there are baboons and warthogs in the MAIN STREET, I love it!

Our hotel is literally a 5 minute walk to the Falls and the Zambia border. We can hear the falls from the hotel. Being city people now (sadly) they sound like a cross between car traffic a long way away, the ocean and the soft hum of an air conditioner.

We are shown to our room, apparently we have been upgraded to a suite so it has a bedroom, bathroom and small living room. But it has no balcony which was something we were looking forward to. So for the first time ever, we go and ask the front desk if it’s possible to switch rooms, even if it’s just a standard room so that we can sit outside and watch and listen.

The girls on the counter are great, so friendly and will go out of their way to try and help you. They say there is only one other suite available that has a balcony but won’t be ready until later, so we wait.

And wow, was the wait worth it! Our room is actually 2 adjoining rooms that they have made in to one, although the 2 inside doors are still there and also the hallway doors. So one room is the bedroom with a balcony, closet and bathroom and the other room is a living area with lounge suite, table and chairs, balcony and bathroom. So now we have TWO balconies and TWO bathrooms - his and hers!

BOMA DINNER

Tonight for dinner we are going to the Boma Dinner, which is lots of tradional food and entertainment.

Our driver is Liki and he will end up being our driver most of the time while we are here. He’s brought his girlfriend along with him to keep company while waiting for us.

It’s not far, nothing is far here it’s so small.

When we arrive we are dressed in a sarong (tied over one shoulder over our clothes, so sorry, no nudey shots here!) and then we get our faces painted. I get some dots under my eye and Tim gets stripes. We see a lady inside and she has a whole zebra on her cheek!

It’s a really big area, very open with a partially covered straw roof and a big open fire in the middle that they are cooking lamb over. We are lucky enough to be sat by the fire.

It’s all buffet style so you can pick and choose what pleases you. If you can eat enough, there are 4 courses available, soup, entrée, main and dessert. They specialize in being able to try all different types of African meat like my beloved warthog, eland etc. But there is also plain steak, fish and chicken available. They also have plenty of vegetarian options which is great. The whole of Africa has been very accommodating to those that are not carnivorous.

The food is beautifully prepared and everyone seems to enjoy what they are eating.

They give us traditional beer to try, don’t know what it tasted like but it smelt awful, definitely an acquired taste!

A guy came out with 2 huge drums that he had to heat over the fire to get the right tone, it took a long time and a lot of patience, he obviously has a good ear!

When the drums were sounding right a group of dancers and more drummers come out who did a series of traditional dancers, they explained the meaning of each dance and the occasion when it would be used. Very energetic and I’m surprised they don’t all have shin splints!

Around 9pm a different group of drummers came out and they gave each guest a small drum that was shaped like a hourglass that you tucked between your knees.

He was all miked up and then not long after the show started. It was great, he would do some on his drum and then we would all copy, I have no sense of rhythm and he would keep coming over, listening to me and just walk away shaking his head, Tim laughed so hard he nearly dropped his drum - no support for his poor no rhythm wife!

There was also a fortune teller there, and for a price he would tell your fortune. It’s all a bit of fun I figure so I’m up for it, Tim wasn’t so keen, but he came in to listen to mine. He spoke so quick that I couldn’t catch most of it, but he ended up doing Tim and said that he would have 4 children - so he must be counting the pets!

So we reach the end of another great day. The days are beautiful and warm here but the nights are mighty chilly!



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb