Zimbabwe and Victoria Falls


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
April 20th 2008
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Zimbabwe was probably one of the more interesting countries we've been to economically. It's really hard to describe the experience. When we arrived, the street rate for US dollars was 50,000,000 to one. However the bank rate was only 30,000 to one. So we were either forced to change on the street or use US dollars exclusively. Luckily we had a contact that could change the money for us so that we wouldn't get scammed. We changed $40 and instantly became billionaires! Although our $1 billion bar tab was a little scary...

The political situation has been very damaging for the people expecially in Vic Falls which is built on tourism. The tourists have stopped coming and the street vendors are barely scraping by. You'd see one guy in the morning who would try and sell you a carving for $30 US. By the afternoon the same guy was selling the same thing for $5 and eventually would come down to $1 or just something to trade. It was very sad to see. Because of the election situation we also had to leave the country earlier than planned.

Aside from political nonsense, Vic Falls is an amazing place. Since we arrived just after the end of the wet season the volume of water coming over the falls is just incredible! We got absolutely drenched walking around the falls and had to wait for the wind to change directions just to get photos in between sprays.

On our last night in Vic Falls we had an awesome dinner at "The Boma" restaurant, which specializes in African Game Meats. We ate crocodile, ostrich, warthog, impala, and kudu from the huge buffet. Warthog is our favorite, followed closely by kudu. Tasty!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

PosingPosing
Posing

From the Vic Falls Hotel
InternetInternet
Internet

So sloooow...
Fooled!Fooled!
Fooled!

Never change money on the street. Not only is it illegal, but you can also get scammed big time. That wad is worth less than 1 cent US!


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb