A one day trip to Zimbabwe


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
August 24th 2007
Published: August 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Since the Falls cover a total lenght of 1.7 km, and only 700 meters are in Zambia, we ( Christine, a nurse from Germany working in Congo with Doctors without borders) and Ahmed (Pakistani U.N. peacekeeper in Congo who I also met at the Jollyboy hostel and I ) decided to cross the bridge to walk over to Zimbabwe to check out the falls from that side... well, like most things easier said then done... well actually it was quite easy... i needed to get a new re-entry visa for Zambia so that i could come back into the country, so i walked to the immigration office in town to get that. (quite an interesting place), then we took our hostle shuttle to the falls, walked over the Zambian border post, where we got a bunch of stamps in the passport... then the walk over the bridge and another 1-2 km walk to the Zimbabwe border post where we got a huge visa and a bunch more stamps into the passport, and then after just about 500 m we entered the National Park on the Zambian side.... amazing, truly stunning. The water here is massive, and the spray gets you quite wet at the more narrow spots of the falls.. what a great day again. We had our picnic lunch overlooking the falls and the boiling points (not to many tourists in Zimbabwe at the moment, so it was super relaxing and quite) and then eventually made our way back across the border, got a bunch more stamps, watched some people bungy of the bridge and returned back to the hostel via mini bus. A whole day of local african experience... fantastic.

Now i am back in Pretoria for a night and am headed off to Tanzania tomorrow, where work in day care center awaits me for three weeks. I love Africa and am getting "african fever", as so many before me. :-)

cheers, mates, badaaye

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb