A fading hope


Advertisement
Africa » Zimbabwe » Bulawayo
December 18th 2006
Published: January 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The train had stopped. My thin sarong and I had spent the night in a stillborn struggle against the cold night air that blew through the broken window of our compartment. To be awoken by the chattering of a thousand voices was nothing but a well-earned relief. A hodgepodge of odds and ends was offloaded in a commotion of big-mamas, then stowed into already cramped taxis and taken to Mozambique ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Remember me?Remember me?
Remember me?

Mss Memory worked at the Hivu plant nursery and served the best scones (with home-wipped sourcream and jam) south of the equator. She remebered my name but constantly forgot Aili's. She's the first one I've met named after the minds ability to store information for later use... Bvumba Mountains.
SCUDSCUD
SCUD

Chibuku is what all the men drink. It's between 4% and 6% alcohol. The consistency is like porridge and it's very filling. I mixed mine with ice-cream which didn't make it taste any better. After the Gulf-War the Chibuku got called Scud because of the plastic container. A local lad outside the Chimanimani village beer hall.
Sunrise, SunriseSunrise, Sunrise
Sunrise, Sunrise

The sun slowly rising from behind a huge mountain next to our cave. Chimanimani National Park.
The beautiful ChimanimaniThe beautiful Chimanimani
The beautiful Chimanimani

After leaving our cave in the morning we followed a river downstream for an hour then walked back along the many waterfalls, miniature gorges and pools it created. Watching Klipspringers and other animals in the park. Chimanimani National Park.
BeetlesBeetles
Beetles

Up in the Bvumba mountais we met a beetle specialist identifying new species. I asked if he could name one after me and he laughed and said maybe. So keep your eyes open the next time you go to a Natural History Museum for: Bobbielus Insecticus.
A quick escapeA quick escape
A quick escape

The monkeys at Masvingo. A mother with her child leaping from a tree then running quickly into the bushes.
FirestarterFirestarter
Firestarter

Machel cooking sadza, a maize meal porridge EVERY Zimbabwean eats three times a day. One has to get used to it, and add loads of rellish then it actually tastes good. Especialy in such good company as Machel's. Chimanimani.
Brokeback Mountain here I come!Brokeback Mountain here I come!
Brokeback Mountain here I come!

Horseback in silly hat up in the Bvumba Mountains.
Circle 4Circle 4
Circle 4

Earth, the moon, the stars, the sun.
Cave menCave men
Cave men

Evening camp fire. Chimanimani National Park.
Automatic riflesAutomatic rifles
Automatic rifles

A rangers best friend. Chimanimani.
Unique FloraUnique Flora
Unique Flora

A field of burned flowers in Chimanimani
Feathery feetsFeathery feets
Feathery feets

I had never before seen a chicken with feathers on her feet. But all th echickens in the Bvumba looked like this. Cookadoodledooooou!



26th January 2007

Wow
It's great the fact that you show the side of these countries that many don't get to see in the tourist guides...great pics also. Very inspiring, keep writing.
29th January 2007

thanks for sharing your experience. I like it that you "personalize"(name and describe) the persons you met.
9th February 2007

Enjoying
Thanks for sharing :) The hole site looks great to us (me and my wife) and it is very interesting for us to browse this entire blog. The pictures are great too. I hope that we can travel some day to this beautiful continent for a long stay. If i see al this pictures and comment of you, my heart goes like crazy. So, thanks for sharing this again, it's really appreciated. Greetings from the Netherlands.
21st February 2007

finally got to read this!!
hey man!! It was great to finally read this after seeing you trying to write it in africa!! Say hi to aili and enjoy the rest of the journey! I'll be keeping updated by reading this so keep writing....... oh and love the pictures, totally awesome!! Was great to no u guys... stay in touch!
23rd August 2008

WONDERFUL!
I have just spent the last half hour 'wallowing' in these fantastic pictures and stories. As an ex Zimbabwean who has watched the country go to wreck and ruin since the 1980's, it was just magical to see that you have captured the true Zimbabwe which the world doesn't see. I spent time in the Chimanimani Mountains and also Vumba in the 70's when I travelled as you have done and your account has made an old lady very happy. Many thanks - wonderful!!
12th December 2008

nostagia!
Well, nice to know you had a nice time in that part of the world. Despite all that is going on and the bad pictures coming out from there, your beautiful pictures are refreshing and do give the hope that we desperately need. Again, thanks and good luck.
10th January 2010

great info
We are off to climb mount binga next week . we live in Mozambique - Vilanculos. so your tale was a fun filled take on the life of africa which we live daily - throwing in the info i was looking for re Mt Bing i hope we get there and its not misty like it was for you. you didint mention the time of year ??? J
14th March 2011
Choco-con-Chilli and a Meringue-Angel

White Chocolate Cheese Cake
I visited Tony's a few days ago. Oh my god! The White Chocolate Cheese Cake is divine. I'm sure I was in heaven for about 15 minutes. Tony's is not to be missed if you go to the Bvumba.
29th June 2011
The beautiful Chimanimani

Thanks for the memories
Hi Bobbie, Thanks for sharing the photo's and the story. I was there in the 1980's and had a wonderful time. I slept in the same cave, swam in the same streams and pools as you must have. Regards, Brian.
10th May 2012
The beautiful Chimanimani

Chimanimani Is A World Of Wonders
Chimanimani is great.A world of wonders which reveals God's glorly.A vast game,fantastic mountains,fantastic Bridal Veil Falls,fantastic exotic plantatios and afterwards ever green through out the year,so beautiful.I am dreaming to enjoy honeymoon in Chimanimani's unspoiled environment.In addition,I am blessed to be a Chimanimani born.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb