Mass, Chawama Compound and bartering!


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Lusaka
June 21st 2009
Published: June 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Happy Father's Day!Happy Father's Day!Happy Father's Day!

Spelling "DAD!" with all the kids
Sunday mass today at a huge church in Chawama, given by our very own father Clifford. The choir sounded like angels sent from God, and filled the entire room, packed with people who all gave us such a warm welcome with friendly smiles and hanshakes. We got the chance to meet and talk with many people, youth, adults, and children after mass. We then took the rest of the morning to walk through the Chawama compound, which was quite an experience for all of us. In the compounds, the people live very close together, the poorest of the poor, selling tomatoes and dried tiny fish and whatever else they can get their hands on. We walked through these narrow streets lined with makeshift-type buildings, followed by an entourage of what seemed like thousands of little kids and others who were talking with us. We saw a few football (soccer) games being played in the middle, and so many people lined the sides and were milling all over. To see how little these people have makes us all appreciate everything we have, I think seeing the people in the compound today touched everyone's hearts in a special way, the interaction with the people was indescribable.
Later in the afternoon we singlehandedly stimulated Zambia's economy: we went shopping at the market. The nuns laughed at me for not bartering enough, apparently I got robbed on a set of salad tongs. It was a fun experience, though, and especially to see the complete opposite on the spectrum of living. The market showed the wealthy part of Zambia, and we really experienced that contrast, that "gap" between the rich and dirt poor in this single city of Lusaka.
Tomorrow we travel to Ndola, all of us and our luggage in one van and one car...this should be fun... But now we always catch ourselves complaining, after seeing Chawama and the people and living conditions.

PS- hi mom and dad this is Sarah writing this 😊 thought you might like to know. I love Zambia, this trip has been amazing so far, and I love you LOTS but not enough to miss home quite yet! It is too exciting here, but we have been safe and sound the friars have taken such good care of us. The brothers are awesome! hope the brothers back home are doing awesome as well. And I haven't even freaked out about any spiders!
PPS- happy fathers day, the picture is for you!

Advertisement



24th June 2009

What an experience you are having
Greetings to the service family. That's what it seems that you are forming there. I suspect that you will never again be able to turn you face away from the poor, with the memory of Chawama compound in you minds and hearts. It's so good that you are sharing your personal response to the experience to all that visit the blog. And it's good for us "elders" to hear that all is well except for a nose injury. Thanks for sharing your reflections and experiences.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb