Hidden Voice and Saint Patrick´s Schools


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Lusaka
June 19th 2009
Published: June 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hidden Voice School1Hidden Voice School1Hidden Voice School1

Monica and MaryEllen hauling demolition material from Hidden Voice School
18 June
As the group began to recover from jet lag, we visited Hidden Valley School - for special needs students - in one of the local compounds (ghetto). We were there to deliver books and school supplies as well as to interact with the youth. Upon meeting with Sister Maura, we quickly began work on the buiding. We filled cracks in walls, tore down walls, removed a bathtub from a concrete block, took out a door frame, painted inside and out, and built stairs and wheelchair ramps, all with only one shovel, two pieces of piping, an old broken wooden trowel, and sacks to carry our debris. On rest breaks, we interacted with the children and jumped on the mini-trampoline (exercise room size). Overall, a long, dirty, and dusty day that we wouldn´t have traded for anything. We particularly enjoyed having the friars helping throughout the day, and they got a lot of it as well.

19 June
Now that yesterday's hard work was over - for now - we jumped into today thinking that it was to be a day of rest and relaxation, a fun day of play with the students of St. Patrick'school for girls...the resuts
Hidden Voice School2Hidden Voice School2Hidden Voice School2

Anna and Sarah painting a room at Hidden Voice School
were more than we expected. We spent the majority of the day visiting with the hundreds of students at the all-girl primary school (grades K-9)...which was excellet for Stephen-the new Zac Ephram of Lusaka. In small groups, we took the time to visit most of the classrooms which was welcomed with abundant songs and dancing. Pictures, games, pictures, autographs, pictures, hacky-sacking, pictures, and more pictures...Sarah, Monica, and Anna were favourites among the schoolgirls. The adults also had a field day bartering at the local market (Grace: Dave has no money left...send more please!). As opposed to the fish heads and tails enjoyed the night prior for dinner; the cooking staff had the mistaken idea that they had the night off, and we improvised with grilled cheese, wine, popcorn, cake, ice-cream, and champagne. With this banquet, we helped celebrate Matt´s 50th Birthday. To the man of the hour: "Mwabombeni!".
A note to the Murray´s- Monica is having a great time, not homesick in the least, and thinking it will be very hard to leave here in 2 weeks! Well this is all for now, we will see who survives the crocodile farm tomorrow!!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Hidden Voice School3Hidden Voice School3
Hidden Voice School3

Painting a sign


19th June 2009

Happy Days!
Happy Birthday, Matt! What a memorable one for you! And for all of you....what a blessing to find such joy in such work!
19th June 2009

Happy Days!
Happy Birthday, Matt! What a memorable one for you! And for all of you....what a blessing to find such joy in such work!
20th June 2009

Wonderful!
What a delight to read of the adventures - so proud (and jealous) of you all! God Bless!
20th June 2009

With you in spirit
We are loving reading about your experience. The pictures tell it all with the smiles on your faces. We almost feel like we are there with you all. Mass was offered for you all today and the prayers keep coming!
20th June 2009

Hey Mwabombeni! Happy Birthday!!!! Thinking of you all. Mwabombeni, please dont try to fix anything :)
20th June 2009

Hope the crocs didn't eat everyone
One of KJ's (many, but the favorite [hee hee]) cousins here-from across another pond. What a wonderful adventure for you guys! I have only done this kind of physically exhausting but spiritually uplifting work closer to home (Neon, Kentucky; New Orleans, Trenton, New Jersey; Chicago, etc) but always found it to be tremendously joyful experience. Thank you for sharing with us, keep well, and someone PLEASE bring back a written account in addition to this blog.
23rd June 2009

Lucky Monica
Monica (if the crocs didn't get you) I am envious of you. Sounds great. Cant' wait for your return to hear all of your tales.
23rd June 2009

Weibugs!!
Thanks. We are all great. Thanks for the note. We'll be off line for three days here.... Tomorrow off to feed the poor! M, M, A, and A

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb