LIVINGSTONE, ZAMBIA TO JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA--Tuesday, April 1, 2014


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
April 1st 2014
Published: October 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Southern Sun Garden Court Tambo Hotel, Zambia to Johannesburg, South Africa--Tuesday, April 1st

For a last attempt at a better view of Victoria Falls, we hired a taxi to take us at 8:00 am over the vehicle/railroad bridge into Zimbabwe (allowed just because it is a no-man’s land and there is no way to fit an immigration check point in the middle of the bridge) and then we walked back across the bridge into Zambia.

Lots of pedestrians out this morning. I guess people cross the border to shop and work in Zambia. Wet, wet, wet---camera and us, from the mist and not much, sadly to say, of the Falls could be made out through the mist. Oh well, we tried, at least everything short of getting up in the air. (For a video of looking at Victoria Falls through the spray and mist, see: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204761932269496).

Since we had a little time to kill as we walked back to the room from where the taxi left us, we walked on a path to the right of our block of rooms to see what could be seen around a visible pond. One of the Rangers walked with us to show us that the pond extended behind a block of rooms on the right. Their patios/windows looked out onto that view. Not a lot happening, but we did see both the Woodland and Pied Kingfishers, and another African Openbill Stork.

Our bags packed and ready, we all loaded up into vans at 11:00 for a ride to the airport. The male dancers in nice costumes were on hand to send us on our way. As we drove back through the town of Livingstone, Valerie was able to take some pictures of some of the downtown buildings, stores, flour & feed mill, etc.

Walked out onto the tarmac and up the stairway to catch the plane back to Jo’burg. Another serious spraying of disinfectant inside and outside the plane before we took off. Since Valerie and I were going to be in Johannesburg by ourselves while most of the others would fly onto NY later, we tried to say goodbye to as many of our travel companions as we could because experience showed us people in wheelchairs got separated and waited in different places at Jo’burg airport.

As we landed, I was whisked away and wheelchaired with Valerie out to where the local shuttle buses were waiting for hotel passengers. A bus for our hotel was right there, so got on, was driven the few miles to the Aviator Hotel, checked in, walked to our room, got lunch grub from the bar, and relaxed for the rest of the day. Ate dinner in the hotel restaurant before calling it a night


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.47s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb