Adieu to Vic Falls


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Victoria FallsVictoria FallsVictoria Falls

And it's not raining
Today we said goodbye to Victoria Falls and made the journey down to Cape Town. You'll notice that we have skipped a few days in the blog, so I'll update you on those. We arrived in Zambia on the 29th of June and headed to our hotel very near the falls. When we arrived, we were greeted by some locals doing an African dance (with accompaniment from two small English boys).

The hotel itself was large, but - as we found out over time - a bit of a tourist trap. OK, scrap that. It was entirely a tourist trap. We were severely disappointed with the hotel, which was asking for $16US for a BLT sandwich. One highlight of the hotel was that we discovered Savanna Cider. It's a must try if you are ever down this way.

While the hotel was a disappointment, Victoria Falls is absolutely beautiful. In total we took 3 walks to the falls, including two very wet walks all the way through the falls. We cannot describe how massive the falls are up close. They extend for so far horizontally, and the amount of mist is so great, that you could never hope
Rainbows in the mistRainbows in the mistRainbows in the mist

Rainbow looking down on the Zambezi River
to see the full falls except from a helicopter. On a bridge connecting two peaks across from the falls (where you get the most wet), we came across a rainbow that made a complete circle. It was definitely our first full circle rainbow, so we were very excited.

We also made the walk across the bridge to Zimbabwe. From the bridge there are gorgeous views back toward Zambia and the falls. In addition, there is bungee jumping just over the Zambezi River (the river that forms the falls). While we claim we had "no desire" to jump, the truth is that we were both big wimps and chickened out. That said, the views were beautiful. Go to Vic Falls for the views, not for the tourist trap.

It's very late now here in Cape Town, and we had a fun day of late flights (a result of the largely manual reservation system employed by a nameless airline). The good news is that we made it here with our bags, so all is well. More to come tomorrow.

Advertisement



4th July 2007

How's the weather down there
I heard on the radio the other day that Jo'burg got snow for the first time in 20+ years. But all seems lush and gorgeous in your photos. Looks like an awesome time. We await your next update :)

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb