Into Zambia - Lake Kariba


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Lake Kariba
October 23rd 2006
Published: October 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Up before first light for a 6am departure - waving goodbye to Sammy as we left. We crossed the Zambezi bridge after a few miles, getting an excellent view of the gorge and yesterday’s starting point for the rafting. We spent ages in the boling sun waiting for our passports to be processed at the Zambian border post. There was another punitive $US 55 each in visa fees. We stopped in a busy little Zambian town for Kwacha, the Zambian currency. The Zambian currency is quite strong because of their main export being copper which is at a high price. Things are therefore noticeably more expensive. I did however buy a cheap watch from a street trader (I accidentally left behind my one pound watch bought in Poundsaver in Norwich with the guide on our rafting). The last 20km to our destination was very bumpy with occasional very traditional round house villages. On arrival we embarked on the houseboat that will be our home on Lake Kariba for the next few two nights. We drew lots for which couples got the double rooms and we were lucky. We got one of the best doubles in the bow with en-suite (and air-con when moored at the home port). The houseboat is an ugly three storey structure with 4 crew and is far more comfortable than a tent. We set sail early in the afternoon for an island in the Lake. Mwangi and Joseph were able to accompany us. Half way to the island, in deep water, we stopped for a swimming opportunity. I joined the others in jumping from the roof three storeys to the lovely warm water. It was a little bit worrying though because although we had been assured that the Lake’s crocs don’t venture into deep water, there is always a lingering doubt. Eventually we anchored just off a remote uninhabited island. We could see kudu and impala at the waterside. These creatures have a more relaxed life than most of their fellows because there are no predators such as lions on the island. Two pied wagtails seemed to adopt the houseboat as their temporary home. We spent a relaxing evening drinking beer and getting into deep and meaningful conversations about religion. (at least they seemed so under the influence of alcohol). We then retired to the luxury of a double bed.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 8; ; mem: 1.2mb