Back in Ndola at the Franciscan Center


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Copperbelt
June 28th 2009
Published: June 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived back at the Franciscan Center in Ndola from which we had departed on Thursday morning for Ibenga (see previous entry). We woke Friday morning and after Anna and Sarah had nicely milked Father Angelo's cows (we think they are cow girls at heart) we toured the Ibenga hospital and left some of the medical supplies we brought. We also had the great pleasure of seeing Violet, an adorable, lovable orphan girl of about 4 years age who we all fell in love with at the Leprosorium the previous day. After that we were on the bus again heading for Kitwe to an overwhelming and incredible welcome at Chamboli Parish. We were not prepared for the 500 plus who greeted us in a big procession around the church followed by tours of the parish grounds, a very authentic lunch with more than a dozen dishes to sample including fried caterpillars! They are very good - I think someone is going to package them and sell them in the States as a new line of snacks! After lunch we were the parish's special guests at an MC'd program, which included traditional song, music, skits, speeches, and oh yes dance. You'll have to see us all dancing some of the traditional Zambian dances in our chitengas. We are not very good. After a 4 hour welcome at Chamboli we we were off again to another parish and school for a much briefer program of music and poetry then we were on our way to the St. Francis Friary in Garneton where we spent the night hosted by Father Pio the acting guardian. We also were rejoined by Father Patrick Chisanga, the Zambian Franciscan Conventual Provincial (head of all the Franciscan Conventual Friars in Zambia) and we met Father Matthew Mumba for the first time. Fr Matthew is the Provincial Secretary and Treasurer. The following morning we began the day at mass in a very intimate chapel on the Friary grounds built in the round to model a traditional Zambian dwelling. Mass was sung by all using many of the songs from the OLP youth choir and from the confirmation program. Later that morning we headed off to a coed primary and secondary school where we met the students, taught some lessons, and took questions from the students. Others went into Zambia compound (located in Itimpi) of 17,000 residents and helped (some might say hindered) residents making clay bricks for the homes, others helped build a new home, while others did some home-based care with the sick. From there it was back to the St Francis Friary for lunch and good-byes before our drive to the original Franciscan Mission, St Joseph, built in 1932. Here we met the 17, 1st and 2nd year postulates, the postulates that OLP's outreach program helps fund by providing two scholarships for the formation of 2 new potential priests. It was wonderful to meet these bright, committed young men and understand how our parish assistance directly changes the lives of a couple of very deserving individuals and helps grow the church through the formation of new priests. While there we also toured the grounds, including a small but fascinating museum that the Friars have started, which tells some of the story of the 75 year Franciscan experience in Zambia. We also worked in the hospital, the gardens, piggery, poultry farm, and cow shed (be sure to ask Stephen, Sean, Andy, Evan and Anna about how they manage a bull!). We left more medical supplies at hospital at St Joes and before leaving we toured and met the girls at the School for the Deaf. We left for the Franciscan Center in Ndola around 3:30 with a short stop in Kitwe at Sacred Heart parish to say hello to Father John, who had greeted us in Lusaka when we first arrived at Boneventure College, and to shop in the market for about an hour. We returned to Ndola by night fall tired but very enriched from this incredible three day, experience-packed journey. Many thanks to Brothers, John and Rogers and Deacon James for putting up with us (they had to herd cats!) and making it happen. After dinner last night we helped Father Patrick begin to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his ordination. More on that later...

Advertisement



28th June 2009

Amazing
Thank you for the blog. Sounds like an amazing array of opportunities and interactions with the Zambian communities and people. We are so proud of all of you!
29th June 2009

GREAT Work guys
Your blogs are fasinating. You are doing what so many of us wish we could do! God Bless your experience and trip back home.
1st July 2009

"Awesome" Work
Also, thank you for the blogs! I have enjoyed reading about all of your awesome experiences. Wishing all of you a safe trip home and can't wait to hear about the wonderful things that you have done for the Zambian people. The Poe's (Mike and Katie Jo's neighbors)

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb