Thoughtful Thursday


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
July 10th 2014
Published: July 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

We were not moving as fast today. But it seems like we got the bulk of the planning done. Our co tutors are very receptive to ideas which is great. I've made two observations. One, is that English seems to be the language of communication, but not conversation. I mean that all the signs, store fronts, and ads that I've seen have been in English, but when I listen to people talk, I hear more non-English. I think part of the reason for that may be that Uganda has many different district languages, and so English became the common ground under British rule. Two, is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of restoration or up keep of things like roads. It almost looks like the British put stuff in place, and then when they left, just said,'Here. Do it yourself'. I say that based on the fact that things like the sidewalks look like they were put in 60's and haven't been replaced or renovated since. Maybe just a few patches here and there. Plus some of the buildings look like they are run down and falling apart. The people seem to always be busy while they are up early working and work long hours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb