Fascinating Uganda: Lake Bunyonyi


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
October 8th 2010
Published: October 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Kabale
A taxi with 9 people is bad, but a nightbus is even worse. It took us to Kabale, where we slept in the dorm of Home of Eridisa for only $5 for 2 persons. Apart from being an hostel it is also a museum. It is in the very south of Uganda, not far from the border with Rwanda. Next day we took a taxi to Lake Bunyoni. There we climbed in a hollow tree, which is called a boat here, together with our big rucksack and paddled in 45 minutes to Itambira Island. On the island we got a wooden cabin at Byoona Amajara. It is paradise. Completely silent. Full of birds, butterflies and beautiful flowers. There is a restaurant with delicious food and some cabins. In the library we find books of Darwin, Dawkins and a book of Birds of East Africa. Everything works on solar energy. In the bird book we find the names of some of the birds we see: mousebird, bronze sunbird, blue breasted bee eater and more. We stayed only 2 days here and we were sad like Adam and Eva to leave this paradise. We return to the Home of Eridisa and next morming we left with the public bus, which brought to the Backpackers Hotel in Masaka. We meet some Dutch and Belgian girls, who work as volunteers to help street kids. And the preacher. Let us call him John. "I have my own church", John declares. He is from England and wears a nice suit. Together with his Ugandese wife Anita he lives at the camping in a kind of a tent. Shortly he bought a motorbike so that he can easily visit his disciples. "I have to go", he says. Together with his wife he jumps on the motorbike. On the back I see the loudspeaker. "It is not loud enough", he says. I will buy a bigger one, so that people can hear God's word better." Off they go, in the rain.
We discussed how to round the Victoria lake on our way to Arusha in Tanzania. The Northern route is easy via Nairobi, the Southern route is more challenging and adventurous. This way or That way? We choose That way. So the day after we took a taxi to Mutukoba at the border of Tanzania: the Southern route.

We spent almost 3 weeks in Uganda and we look back at a great time in a fascinating country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb