Another road (and ferry) less travelled


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
February 25th 2020
Published: February 25th 2020
Edit Blog Post

We had to get up early for a big drive to make our way in the direction of the impenetrable forest on the other side of Uganda to see the Gorillas.

We started by driving around Kampala and onto Entebbe (the former colonial capital) where we had to pick up our passes to go and see the Gorillas. Ludicrously expensive but no choice so we hope it will be worth it.

On leaving Entebbe we followed Google maps and sometimes Google tries hard to get you the right place and sometimes it takes you on what might be described as a less travelled route. On this occasion Google directed us toward a ferry, not just any ferry – a proper local ferry taking 8 cars an hour and about 1 million people.

We were luckily car #8 in the que so we waited among the absolute chaos of the road that ends in Lake Victoria which is surrounded by streets selling everything and anything you can imagine. I think it fair to say safety standards on the ferry were not high but it did get us to the other side and amazingly it was free.

We continued on down some fairly rustic dirt roads before making it to some tarmac. Along the way I stopped to pick up some local delicacies by the side of the road which unfortunately turned out to be Kidney on a stick. Alain seemed to be a fan but after trying one piece each the rest of us gave them back to nature.

We continued on and amazingly every roadside police check we passed they smiled and waved us on, we must have been really unlucky a few days back. The road was good and we covered the miles to Mbarara

Just beyond Mabarara we made it to Nyore Hillside retreat which is a lovely spot perched on a hill that allowed us to camp and seem to be cooking us some local delicacies involving unripe green bananas, should be good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb