Update: Health Center IV in Rugazi


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
June 11th 2019
Published: June 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

This past week has been a huge learning curve for me, but one of the best hands on learning experiences I could have asked for. Our community placement was delayed by two weeks related to some unforeseen circumstances at Mbarara University. This gave us some extra time when we first arrived to relax and sightsee a bit in the country before starting work last week. During our time in Mbarara, we went to the market numerous times where we have begun to master haggling. Some of my favorite items from the market include: mangos, avocados, tomatoes, and cucumbers. We also volunteered at Divine Mercy Orphanage a few times while in Mbarara.



Last week we were in Rugazi working in a Health Center IV, which is a health centre one level below a district hospital. We returned to Mbarara on Sunday to complete a week-long Leadership conference with Ugandan health care students before returning back to the Rugazi community along with a few of the Ugandan students. Our plan while we are in Rugazi for the remainder of June is working in the Health Care centre every morning, on various wards such as Pediatrics, labor and delivery, outpatient and admissions, daily clinics such as HIV or other chronic conditions, male or female medicine, and antenatal. In the afternoons, our task is to work with the Ugandan students on their community project. This project consists of working with the community to improve an area of healthcare they feel they are currently struggling with. The project needs to be achievable with very little or no funding. I am eager to partner with the Ugandan students and work with the community.



Last week while we were in Rugazi, we had two senior students who have already completed their community placements along with us. Resty and Kenny have been amazing role models and incredibly helpful in assisting us in making connects in the community by translating and providing education regarding tropical infections, disease, and cultural practices to help us gain a better understanding of Rugazi. I am eager to return back to Rugazi and continue working in the health center. We recognized a significant shortage in supplies at the health care clinic so we have purchased IV cannulas, alcohol swabs, and two thermometers to bring back with us. We are also going to look at purchasing an automatic blood pressure cuff as this was a clinical tool that was always being used and there were only two to service all the wards.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb