Week 8 and 9


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Western Region
July 27th 2017
Published: July 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We apologize for neglecting our blogging duties last week. Half of our crew fell ill, and as such, we had nothing of much excitement to tell you about. This blog comprises week 8 and 9 activities.

Tailoring Your Nursing Practice (Taylor and Phil)

Nursing is an art and there is no field in which this is more notable than community health. There is no template or formula on how to deliver healthcare in a community setting as it must be tailored for each community and culture just as a seamstress customizes a garment for a customer. And just as a tailor measures, designs and assesses their client’s needs, a nurse must do the same. A nurse has a basic pattern, the information that they hold on health-related topics but they need to evaluate their clients to gain an understanding of how they can make it a perfect fit. A finished garment can only be created when the client can turn the nurse’s information into their own useable and applicable knowledge. But the journey to the perfect fit is never as simple as it ‘seams.'

Although this practice is not isolated to global health work we as, a group have had to increase our garment making skills to ensure that the information we pass on during our health teachings is not ill-fitting and unflattering for our clients. There was no better example than when we were given the opportunity by our supervisor, Dr. Card, holding an education session for the paravets on breast self-examinations and hypertension. As we began planning for our session, we quickly realized that we needed to adapt the information in our textbooks as what fits in Canada wasn’t going to fit as well in rural Uganda.

We modified the suggested use of a hand mirror for breast self-exams by advising the ladies seek out a ‘breast friend’, a fellow woman to assess their boobs. We laughed at this pun but it was most likely lost in translation. Additionally, unlike our nursing labs, we did not have a surplus of fake breasts with different types of lumps so, we made our own out of ghee and various fruits and vegetables found at the market. Our presentation style differed from what we had become accustom to in Canada as we needed to speak slowly and utilize a translator since all we know is basic greetings and food in Runyankole. Another noticeable difference is how comfortable the women are with their breasts. Women's breasts are not sexualized in Uganda and the women were perfectly comfortable performing their self exam, in the flesh with males present while we demonstrated the technique. During our hypertension section, we had to clarify what obesity meant as we have noticed that several Ugandans do not view being overweight as a negative attribute. Furthermore, when we spoke to the active lifestyle needed to maintain a healthy ‘pressure’ we made sure to mention activities that were part of their everyday lives such as walking to the market, ‘digging’ or hauling water.

Just as the tailors at the central market see it as a success when their creations bring a smile to our faces and fit like a glove, the avid note taking, group participation and thought provoking questions during our sessions indicated to us that our information was being transformed into knowledge for the paravets.

Alicia:

Here is what the nutrition students have been up to for the last month: At the end of the first week at the hospital, Sydney and I were fortunate enough to meet other nutrition students. Although there is no nutrition program at MUST, these students had come from several other universities to complete a summer internship at the hospital. We happily joined the students in various wards including the Natasha Ward (the malnutrition center), oncology, pediatric oncology and the walk in clinic. A large part of what we did included taking heights, weights, MUACs (Mid Upper Arm Circumference) and calculating BMIs (Body Mass Index). Seeing the malnourished children was shocking at first--malnutrition here looks vastly different than in Canada. Two year olds that were the size of 5 month olds and 10 year olds too frail to even sit were cases that made us question how we could be so lucky while there is suffering like this happening in the world. Some days were very emotionally draining. We also listened in on various malnutrition cases, getting to learn specifics about each child's situation.This was our favorite task in the hospital because the doctors were always willing to explain each case and question us, forcing us to think critically. We also spent a lot of time talking to the nutrition students and learning about the difficulties they face; they teach the public about the importance of variety in your diet, while they tend to eat the same things for every meal. Another interesting tidbit is how rare lactose intolerance is. Those that can financially afford milk take 1 or more litres of whole milk each day. On July 5th and 6th, we participated in a community outreach at Ruharo Missionary Hospital. There was a large contrast in the clientele that day, and it was refreshing to see so many healthy, chubby babies. Overall, these were an awesome couple of days full of food demos and nutrition counseling. On August 16th, I will reunite with my comrades for another community outreach in Kampala. I could not choose a better way to spend my last day in Uganda.

Ren again,

LETS GET PHYSICAL….PHYSICAL! That’s exactly what we did this past Saturday. We all participated in the Color Run for Pediatric Oncology, a local fundraiser in Mbarara. Myself and Sanchez have participated in a colour run in Canada but this was a first for the rest of the girls. I ran, or more accurately, walked my first color run around Wascana Lake in Regina with my step daughter in 2014. I was less active leading up to my first colour run and the race around Wascana Park took me 2 hours. Most readers know that walking around Wascana should not take 2 hours, LOL. But here, in Uganda, was a different story. I have found peace in running outdoors prior to lifting weights at the local make-shift gym. Since returning to Mbarara 5 weeks ago it has been my goal to run, non-stop to the gym which lies 3.2km up the road with Kailee and Tye. Working toward this goal helped me push through the colour run. I successfully RAN the 5km race (“give or take a few miles” as the race organizer told us) with Taylor by my side and all of the other girls actively participating. We supported each other throughout and had fun taking part in the first annual event.

Interestingly, we have become accustom to Ugandan time and didn’t feel the urgency to arrive at the start line at the set start time of 8:00am. We arrived at 8:15 right as the race began and joined in the run, which disabled us from registering or getting our race numbers. It wasn’t until Tye crossed the finish line as the first female finisher that we realized the importance of registering as a participant. Although we registered days in advance we also had to register the morning of the race to qualify as finishers. Tye did not qualify for the win but in our eyes we all won that day. We ran, jogged, and walked for a worthy cause that lies close to our hearts.

I have found immense comfort in deciphering cultural connections and similarities throughout my trip. On more than one occasion the sound of drums, singing and dancing have elicited an emotional response from me. This makes me wonder if my culture is what I miss most about my home in Canada. I don’t consider myself a cultural enthusiast but I love spending Canadian summer days attending and participating in traditional pow wows and visiting my family and friends on Cowessess First Nation.

On Sunday we visited the Igongo Cultural Centre as a group. A

This past Sunday we all went to the _________ Cultural Centre. The centre took us through the history of Western Uganda. They explained the geographical landscape, colonization, the separation of farmers and cattle keeper in the area, and the common traditions and practices about the peoples of Western Uganda. The creation stories, laws of pre-contact society, and respect of the drum, elders, and animals allowed myself to connect to the culture in ways I didn’t think would happen. Being a naive traveller I have not been exposed to other cultures and people’s stories. Now exposed finding the similarities between the two is simply mind-blowing. It has allowed me to appreciate my culture more and become aware of the many cultures present in this beautiful world.

Sydney:

Since meeting the vet students at the beginning of July and hearing about the things they did here in Mbarara to fill their time, the thought of partaking in some aerobics in a dingy basement had been tempting me. By the way the vets described it, it seemed like a guaranteed good time. After a few weeks of letting other things bump aerobics to the bottom of the priority list, Phil and I finally committed. We got our workout gear on and headed to Majestic Night Club, where aerobics was held three times a week for anyone who wanted to pay the 3000 shilling fee. We had heard a rumor that they had changed the routine for the first time in four years, which is obviously a very big deal. I was already amused just walking into the venue—a large room with old red carpet, a couple pool tables in the back, and plenty of middle-aged men in tracksuits. The class started right on Ugandan time: about a half hour late. I wouldn’t have been sure we were actually getting going if it hadn’t been for the young man who ran in with a neon green blow horn, blowing and hollering, getting the crowd going. Between the constant bouncing around, punching, kicking, and laughing at everything around me, I realized I might have gotten myself into more than I could handle. I have never sweat like that in my life—I had beads rolling off my shins. Just when I was thinking I might die of exhaustion, the instructor would come around and yell at me to “WORK THAT BODY” and “DON’T CHEAT YOURSELF.” I quickly realized that perishing was not an option. The guy with the blow horn would periodically blow it as well, which was the signal for everyone to cheer, which lifted my spirits just enough to keep going. Looking around the room, I could tell I wasn’t the only one feeling this way. In between hip thrusts and planks, people were laying on the floor just trying to catch their breath. The moral of this story is that aerobics is no joke, and if you ever get a chance to partake in such activities in a foreign country, do it. It was probably the funniest thing I’ve ever experienced, and by far the best dollar I’ve ever spent.

The Week of the Sicklings (Tye)

I was the first one to go down with severe diarrhea and mild vomiting over which initially lasted one day. I thought that I was struck by the 24-hour flu but was disappointed when my symptoms came back with vengeance on-and-off over the following three days. A combination of the antibiotics ciprofloxacin and metronidazole along with a probiotic did the trick and I am back in tiptop form. The girls no longer have to worry about me bursting into the bathroom with urgency as we only share one toilet between 8 people.

Sanchez (aka Alexis) was the next to be hit by the plague. And boy, she was hit hard. It came on very suddenly with wicked vomiting and diarrhea, which quickly turned into dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Good thing we’re all health professionals. Rene and Kailee took her to the emergency room where she was given fluids and antiemetics. The girls left at 4:00am and Sanchez strolled back into the house ready for the day and looking healthy as ever at 9:00am. After a few days of recuperation, she to, has fully recovered.

Sydney has been struggling with stomach challenges for a number of weeks and they culminated during the Week of the Sicklings. After a few rounds of antibiotics she is feeling better.

Rene woke up 3 days after caring for Sanchez with the morning runs and vomiting. She was ill for the day but rebounded like a champion to take part in health teaching and community work the following day.

It would have been a bloody miracle for none of us to get sick while spending 3 months in a developing country. We knew that illness would likely sneak up on us at some point and are glad to have friends around to care for us. Whether it be restocking the toilet paper role, disinfecting all solid surfaces (WE LOVE DETOL- universal disinfectant), holding our hair back, wiping ass, fetching the puke bucket, sponge bathing, making a trip to the ER in the middle of the night, daily trips to the pharmacy (yes, it has been tried and tested that we can trust the drugs here), buying soda crackers and bottles of water, or simply saying “I’m sorry this is happening to you. We’ll get through it.” we are thankful for our travel companions who are also our caregivers.

We have been vomit and (mostly) diarrhea free for 6 days and counting. Here’s hoping that we can power through the next 3 weeks sans illness.

Time sure does fly (Kailee)

Looking back on our time in Uganda, it is hard to believe we have almost reached our three month mark.

I still remember the overwhelming feeling when we first arrived in Entebbe Uganda, thinking to myself, “What did I get myself into?” The realization that we were stuck in a foreign country for three months, surrounded by unfamiliar sensory, and would be the visible minority was not an easy bullet to bite. To add to our already wavering emotions, we knew we were missing our beloved Canadian summers of time spent at the lake with our families, friends, and loved ones. Having barbeques on the back deck and fires in the back yard, as well as, Saskatchewan’s brilliant sunrises and sunsets. We quickly had to accept Uganda was going to be our home for the summer.

One thing I am truly thankful for is that I have 8 other girls alongside me for this journey. Even though we did not all know each other well before hand, we quickly developed a strong bond, being each other’s support, optimist, and comforting presence. We shared one common interest at heart, to make a different in a person’s life or at least inspire someone to make a difference in their own life. Each day was a learning opportunity, each experience pushed us outside out comfort zone, and each person had a lesson for us to learn.

Now with only days left before we embark on our safari exploration and travels, we are torn between the emotions of happiness and bitterness.

Reflecting back on our time, we have met a countless number of remarkable people, who have forever left their impression on us and experiences that cannot be paralleled by the average traveller or tourist. Our time in Uganda has truly shaped all of us, whether we realize it now or in the years to come. We have witnessed life through a different lens and have walked in another persons’ shoes. We welcomed bright, young faces optimistically into the world, and at the same time, said good bye to many others years before their time. Despite all the ups and downs, hills and valleys, we would not trade in our time in Uganda for anything. We went from counting down the days, weeks, months to when we would be able to travel home, to wishing we had one more day, even one more week. It may not have been easy, some days may not have been enjoyable, and by no means was it glamorous, but we survived, and we will be leaving Uganda as better stronger people. Our words of wisdom and motto from our trip, “Lean into the discomfort, that is where you grow”.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb