A Visit to Little Switzerland . . .


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Western Region » Lake Bunyonyi
June 13th 2015
Published: June 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

. . . Of Uganda. So in reality, it’s probably nothing like Switzerland at all, but Lake Bunyonyi is incredibly beautiful, so I suppose the nickname works to some extent.



Brit and Lena took a couple days off from the goat project to go gorilla tracking, and decided to spend the weekend in Mbarara when Laura, Brendan and myself went on a trip to the lake. Bunyonyi is one of the deepest lakes in all of Africa and has a scattering of tiny islands spread throughout it, giving it a very unique look. This trip was actually my fourth time going to the lake, but it was my first time actually staying on one of the tiny islands. Brendan is originally from the Unites States, but after a considerable amount of time working and going to school around the globe, he is currently residing in Mbarara and knows the country very well. He took care of the accommodations for us and booked us all to stay in the most adorable little huts overlooking the lake. Not a bad sight to wake up to when you first open your eyes!



The three of us spent some
of our time there canoeing around the lake in the same type of rickety dugout canoe I used last year. But don’t worry mom and dad, this time Laura insisted we bring life jackets into the boat with us, if only for us to sit on them to keep our behinds dry. We paddled to another island to track zebras and waterbuck; which was kinda cool, if you ignore the fact that they were put on the island to attract tourists.



All-in-all it was a wonderfully relaxing weekend filled with lots of sun (and one rainstorm), good drinks, good food, and better company.



Look at that! I’m actually capable of writing a short blog!

(And more pictures below)


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement


Back in the "canoe" Back in the "canoe"
Back in the "canoe"

All smiles going this way. However the journey back was against the current, after the rain storm and gave us a good arm workout. We celebrated with a well earned beer(s)!


Straddle throne!Straddle throne!
Straddle throne!

My first time basing it, and Laura's first time flying it. I think we did pretty good!




Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb