Waving and Misbehaving in Uganda


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Western Region » Kisoro
March 1st 2006
Published: April 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ugandan HouseUgandan HouseUgandan House

Typical Ugandan House in the country
If you ever want to know what it feels like to be famous then go to Uganda. Then simply drive down the road in an open top truck. Every single local that you pass will smile and wave at you, children will run from their huts in hysterics shouting Muzungu, Muzungu how are you? (or in many cases Mzungu, you give me monnnnneeeeyyyyyyyy). The more excitable children will often start dancing and clapping until you are out of sight. In fact one of the hardest parts about travelling through Uganda, apart from the insane potholes, is the constant concentration you need to make sure that every warm wave is returned.

It's election time in Uganda and there is a growing feeling of political instability that threatens to boil over at any time. This is to be expected seeing as it's Uganda's first supposedly free and open elections for 20 years. Political meetings, demonstrations, near riots and the occasional shootings are common in the capital at the moment.

We are making our way through Uganda staying at a few out of town campsites. The most notable was one called the hairy lemon on an island accessed by a canoe ride across the White Nile. The reward for the long drop toilets and snake problem where some fantastic views of the Nile white water. Leaving the campsite we took a wrong turn and after a half hour journey arrived in a small village. You really got the feeling that the kids had not seen white people very often, if at all. Those over 5 where screaming in excitment, those under 5 where crying in fear. Many of them had swollen bellies and where dressed in rags at the very best. The kids where completely confused over what to do with the balloons until we showed them how to blow them up. No doubt they were making water bombs soon after we left.

In the towns it was very weird to have a limited supply of water and electricity. Uganda isn't short of water, but somehow they haven't been able to find a way to pipe it to those that need it, nor harness it's power since the end of the civil war 20 years ago.(MD)






Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Uganda KidsUganda Kids
Uganda Kids

Kids in the village, Uganda
Uganda KidUganda Kid
Uganda Kid

Uganda Kid


Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb