teaching partners and exotic birds


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Western Region » Kabale
April 6th 2007
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It's Good Friday and I find myself at an art exhibition (the artist is Edward, husband of Penninah, the head of English at KHS) held in the White Horse Inn so have popped into the manager's office to borrow the (dial up connection) internet again! The last two days have been so eventful there's not a hope I can tell all here. In brief, yesterday I went to the Wisdom Day Care nursery started up 2 months ago by my English teaching partners Penninah and Enid, helped by a 3rd founder, Peter. They have cleaned out and painted some outbuildings and gathered a few sticks of furniture to make a nursery with the aim of rescuing some slum children from nearby. The most impressive thing about these women is their determination to achieve this, their eyes shine with passion and conviction when they tell us of their plans - they are real sisters.
Edward, the artist, took us to see some grey crowned cranes - magnificent, elegant creatures which are the national bird. After teaching, I went to see Penninah's house and admire the veg which she grows to feed her family - tomatoes, eggplant, sugar cane, pumpkins, beans, sorghum, huge avocados on her tree & many other delights. She laughed and laughed when I told her we bought these things from the (super)market - she said, "but they're free!" She also let me film in the girls' dorms etc - about which more later.
Karina rescued 3 chickens from a market somewhere in town today and appeared back at the school with them. Penninah, who takes everything in her stride it seems, is going to house them at the nursery and use the eggs. We are entertaining our partners from the school tonight and now I need to go to the guests. I will tell you about the 2 hour 'born again' / gospel style service in the school chapel another time!(Note: we did not have suitable attire; since Mooney at least had packed a dress we let her go to the cathedral, though Twino had really wanted Liz and he to go, and later he told me, "The bishop will kill me!")

Advertisement



6th April 2007

gosh
Keep up the great work and enjoy!
5th May 2007

wow
such fantastic reading. i am so in awe of what you have achieved on this trip that i think i would want to come if there is ever a next time. i was particularly moved by the nursery story and would love to help in some way. if you have any suggestions about how i can do this please let me know. Lots os love, Vassilia x

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb