The Nshongi Gorilla Group have split


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

News just in from the Bwindi guides is that its official - the 34 strong Nshongi Gorilla Group has split.

A total of 10 gorillas have left the big group, led by the second dominant silverback, Mishaya. The split is now been confirmed, however the guides are still trying to establish which individuals have left with Mishaya.

Its good news for those without pre bought gorilla trekking permits, as one is now able to purchase (on the ground) permits ($500 cash) from UWA offices (the Uganda Wildlife Authority) in Buhoma and Rushaga.

Still to be named, the breakaway group are in the same home range as the Nshongi gorillas group.

Liaising with the guides, the break-away has come about due to a dominance issue - Nshongi the dominant silvermack of the Nshongi group has always been above Mishaya. Its clear that Mishaya now wants his own group, hence the breakaway.

The new group will be used as a back-up for when the Nyakagazi (Mgahinga gorillas) and the Rushegura gorillas cross over the border into neighboring DRC where one is not able to follow and gorilla trek.

The breakaway group is yet another natural occurance taking place in the beautiful rainforests of Uganda, ensuring that the remaining gorillas form new coalitions and families, ensuring the survival of these magnificent creatures.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb