Day 29: New places


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Northern Region » Murchison Falls NP
December 4th 2018
Published: December 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The day started out early to catch a bus to Masindi. Thanks to Norah’s walkthrough the previous day, it was smooth sailing to get tickets. We hung out for a bit and then a truck with two benches in the flatbed pull up. Shelby’s eyes almost popped out of her head with the look “are we riding in the back of this for 4 hours?” I shrugged with the “I don’t actually know but it is possible.” We got in and us trying to manage not getting our bags caught on the tarp covering the back broke the ice with the other passengers and a good laugh was had at the Muzungos getting stuck. They took us to the bus station and transferred us over to the main bus. Per usual, we did not pull out of the station until every seat was taken. The ride went faster than expected and we arrived in Masindi by 1:00. As soon as we exited the bus, a taxi driver and bus station manager called us over. Apparently, the man in the Kampala office had called the bus station to let them know we were coming and would probably be in need of some help. They weren’t wrong. The place we were trying to go didn‘t have a full address, so the station worker called the hostel owner. She said she was coming to fetch us which was the taxi driver’s cue to exit. It turned out the woman had overbooked her hostel and no longer had room for us. She helped arrange another place to stay and then boda over to the office to confirm our reservation. The bus station manager started explaining how to get there and then said never mind I will walk you. So a small parade started through the town as he pointed out the key spots to know. It was the stark reminder that yes in Uganda I am a minority, but being a minority here is not the same as in the states. The status that comes with white skin immediately puts you ahead and gives you privilege. Some will say they are trying to ensure that tourists have a positive experience and want to come back, but why is that important to them...because it brings in additional income. I am thankful for their help, but also have to acknowledge that I did nothing to get this, but be born white.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb