Uganda, What has happened so far in the first couple of days.


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region » Jinja
June 22nd 2012
Published: June 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Now then, now then. Can say that is has been quite the epic couple of days. And I'm quite unsure where to start...



Well travelling officially started on tuesday, taking the train down to London. I have always loved going to London, showing people how the tube works, immersing myself in the big city. This time I felt I didn't enjoy it as much. Maybe it was the hurrendously big bag, maybe it wasn't. Anyway, met up with Matt and went to his cousins to stop over. That was great. Having a brilliant place to stay before over 12 hours of travel, and the big blow-up double bed was a huge bonus. Thanks again Adam!

Again with the huge bag, this time made a little better as I could carry it on my back, making life so much easier. Tube to Heathrow, no hitches, and here we met up with others who we'd be sharing the flight with. Have to be honest, Heathrow wasn't that impressive, but we were only at terminal 4.

This is where things start to get interesting. We lucked out when buying the tickets, flying wit Qatar. It has to be one of the best airlines. Colour scheme is also very appealing. 6 hours to Doha on the plane was a breeze with watching 3 movies (This means war, Oceans 11 1969 (Defo reccomend) and the second sherlock holmes). Qatar, even at midnight, was absolutely boiling. Probably as hot as summer in England. Short stop at the airport then bundled on the next plane. Pretty much passed out it was that late, heard turbulance was bad.

Then we arrived at Uganda. And it is beautiful (photos will be uploaded when I get back)! Someone sent from softpower met us at the airport and 6 of squeezed into a "12" seater. We then spent 4 hours travelling to the NRC, just outside of Jinja. Time not spent asleep was split between: in awe of the picturesque landscapes and the shear lack of rules on the road. Bikes flying past with 3 people on, trucks passing you by with inches to spare, just shear wrecklessness! All in all, brilliant first couple of hours.

When we arrived to the site, we were greeted by on of our leaders, showed the ropes and settled in. Of course, by now priority was to settle the mother's nerves and check-in back home. After settling in, quick naps and showers we headed off into the centre of Jinja. One of the most scariest moments of my life! We had to take something called a boda. The scary arse bikes I mentioned we were passing by with inches to spare. Two of us on a bike, with a Ugandan driving. Very cheap method of transport, but a pure white knuckle ride.

Jinja is a very nice town, for some reason it reminded me of Birtley highstreet. Still puzzled why, maybe it was just the layout. Nothing to with people from Birtley, quite an unsual thought, can see people questioning me when I get back about that. After attempting to get some Uganda cash (card was void) finally found a place where I could exchange cash. The rate is ideal, but it is quite unsettling seeing a guard with a rifle outside every bank, exchange place and MTN place. The MTN places are where we can get sim cards, which is really confused me why you need a guard. I tried to get a sim card early in the day, but spent about half an hour trying to explain the I was not called White Jack, and filling in the rest of the sim regestration form with the person that was setting it up for me. Fun times though.

After sorting out cash and sims with the others, we went to a beautiful little restuarant called Flavours. The staff were extremely friendly and the food was absolutely devine. Jokes were made that this would be the last good meal we'd be having for a while, so I'm preparing myself for the worst.



Bodas on the way back home. After our first time, you'd of thought it wasn't going to be as scary, bit in the pitch darkness, can safely say, not something I'd reccommend, especially with out goggles. Getting a bug flying straight into your eye at over 40mph is the geatest thing.

Safely back home, we experienced the great Ugandan tipple that is Nile Special. It is a beautiful smooth strong larger, that goes straight to you head and leaves you tipsy after 2 bottles. Ideal little night cap too.

And so far today, we have just chilled waiting for the next batch of volunteers to arrive. It has been ideal. I want to say so much more, but that'll have to be for the time being time is running out on my internet account. Will update again before we head off out on sight. Have a good one kids!

Geordie Jack

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb