Another week in the life of a SPW volunteer


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region » Jinja
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

Can't believe another week has passed already, time has really started to fly! Actually have this Saturday off for a change so we can get stuff done like go to the bank. We were only having Sundays off but everything is closed so it was pretty useless.

Last Saturday at backpackers was great. Dinner, a tab at the bar (so drank for about 7hrs!!) and the room for night all came to the equivalent of 15 quid. What a bargin. And the food was really good - homemade chips and burgers, just what I needed. Felt pretty rough the next day amd a hang over in the equatoral sun is not the most pleasant feeling so spent most of Sunday on the sofa before venturing out to lunch at a cafe in Jinja, then getting the bus back to the farm to start another week of training.

This week has been fun. We had a day of hunting down insects and pests (bloody massive locusts!) which were then subject to death by methalted spirits so we could have a really good look at thier bodily characteristics and decide if they were 'Farmers Friends' or not! On another day we built a water tank (so farmers can irrage during the dry season). Got pretty with a panga (machete type thing) chopping trees for the roof of it. Great for letting off steam! Oh we also made a fuel-efficient stove, from mud and mashed sweet potatoe leaves!! Can't wait to try doing that again when I get in my village!!

Thats the highlights from this week chaps. Oh a couple of us managed to go for a run the other day - think the carb loading is doing me the world of good!

Would love to hear what your all up to. Take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Advertisement



8th February 2007

hey
Gald things are going well darlin! was good 2 see u last month! I've not done 2 much, been on placement and working weekends as usual. Take care and keep in touch xxx lovin the home made chips x

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb