Sundays


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Masaka
May 9th 2010
Published: May 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It’s a good thing I’m not one for lying in on Sunday mornings because in addition to the daily 7am mass in the church, the parishioners are welcomed with a mug of tea and then the beating of a drum (right outside our window!) indicates the start of the service. People hang around the parish all day, doing chores from the washing up to helping the fathers or (as was the case this morning) chopping up a pig! Everyone is so smartly dressed and out come the wigs - making it even harder to recognise people and remember who’s who. Although very fashionable in Kampala, women in rural areas never wear skirts and all still dress in the traditional colourful long matching two piece garment with a sash round the middle.

Daily during the week it is the primary school kids who surround the parish building, having been summoned to clean, and sweep and do other chores, often carrying a plastic pot containing posho (ground cassava with water added until it is solid), or alternatively a stick of sugar cane.

Sunday also seems to be the day for variation in our diet! (apart from last night when they bought grasshoppers - i did try but can safely say i do not like!!!) For three meals a day, 6 days a week we get mashed plantain, rice, spaghetti and groundnut sauce or a bean sauce. Then come Sunday - omelette and chips for breakfast, with bread and fruit, followed by rice and salad and meat for lunch. What a treat - it’s just a shame it’s not spread out a bit during the week! We had wanted to cook american pancakes for everyone but it’s proving hard - I often feel like we are not allowed to do anything and instead someone will be fetched to do it for us!

but i have found a biscuit that tastes of rusks although with a suspicious yellow colouring! So I’m happy 😊 !

Advertisement



12th May 2010

The food sounds fabulous the way you describe it. The grasshoppers look just about as lovely as I'd imagine them to! I don't think I could get over the texture...seems like there'd be an awful lot of crunch for not a whole lot of substance...I guess it's good protein! ; )

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb