more food


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
September 10th 2011
Published: October 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Matoke, rice, irish and millet... mmm... all foods that we have been served every meal and it has only been 5 days but has started to get quite repetetive.
Day 2 of medical camp saw another 500 people come to visit doctors, dentists, peadiatritions, eye doctors, HIV testing, blood doning and councelours. another great day at st John's church. Wednesday the team split into 3 groups, 1 going to Fort portel, 1 going to a couple of medical projects the other side of kampala which left a group of 6 of us. We went off to a couple of Slums; the first was called Katanga, which was just unbelievable with 18,000 people living in this community (size of Nailsea) but only have 4 toilets between them all. As we walked through we stopped at a river and were told this is the place people came to collect water to drink, to bath in, to make food with. As we were there there was a lady washing her clothes, children were stood in it and a guy washing his bike in it. We saw a number of little kids weeing straight into the water they were drinking out of.
We arrived at this slum (and actually anywhere we went) with a cry of mzungu, and little kids running over just to touch us and hold our hands; they were also fasinated with my tattoo and fighting over which person could hold the hand with the tattoo. This was great playing with the kids all the while knowing how dirty these kids are and how much they smelt. We met a guy called Moses who showed us around and started to explain his story... He grew up as a kid in this slum but unlike most of the katanga people, got an education and is now spending every day in the slum to educate the kids who can't afford to go to school. The more we listened to him speak the more we were convinced of his obvious care for the slum and importance that the kids get an education. Megs and I were very impressed with him and will look to work with him when we are next in kampala.
During this time in the slums the local Rev. Micheal bought lots of rice, sugar and soap to take round for different people in the community (mostly old women, who is not only housing and looking after her kids but also has as many as 14 grandkids running around too). It was such an amazing time to see inside their homes, to meet the real people and to offer what we could which at the time was a smile and encouragment.
We spent thursday afternoon in central Kampala for a smoothie and slice of cake and also went to a craft market (I had to restrain Megan saying we've not got any more space in our bags to buy anything more). Thursday night we got together with the wider team who were involved in the medical camp to have a huge meal and a thank you. We then went out with the British mzungu's and Francis (our Ugandan friend) to say goodbye to some of our team leaving early friday morning tofly home.
Friday came and we set off for Kisoro in the south west of Uganda picking up Jolyon (Holy Trinity Vicar) from the airport. We set off at about 9am and after a very long drive got to kisoro at 6pm just before dark. Thunder, lighting, terrencial rain and a power cut is what welcomed us to Kisoro which is where I leave you know...
Until next time...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb