CWB Uganda - work begins !


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
February 27th 2010
Published: February 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cricket match in KampalaCricket match in KampalaCricket match in Kampala

An impromtu opportunity in Kampala

CWB UgandaCrew begin work in Kampala



Saturday 27 February

After breakfast and a quick stop into a nearby shopping centre for bottled water and the opportunity to change money into local currency, we all headed to the national sports centre in Kampala. Here we met national cricketer Fred who showed us around the cricket ground which included a wonderful traditional scoreboard. It may not have the high tech approach of Lords or the SCG but the relaxed attitude of the people milling around certainly gave it some soul.

We were due to go through our itinerary and talk about any other matters with John and tour leader Scott but beforehand had an opportunity for an impromptu cricket match with some local children who happened to be handy. It was great to see them suddenly appear when a bat and ball were brought out.

We enjoyed lunch before departing Kampala for Jinja. The two hour journey was a fascinating trip where we could observe local industry in action with street stalls, small shops and even brick making businesses all in action along the main road. In addition to this there were fields of sugar cane and plenty of cows, goats and chickens. Our approach into Jinja also included, for many of us, our first look at The Nile.

While in Jinja we are staying at the Crested Crane Hotel, a hospitality training centre. Tomorrow we look forward to our first full day of coaching and really getting to work with as many children as possible.

Jo Powell

(posted by email 28/02/10)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb