NEWER THAN THE MAYAN OR INCA CIVILIZATION BUT EQUALY FACSINATING.


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
July 17th 2009
Published: July 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ancient Buganda (muwawa) offered what is part of the building blocks for modern day Uganda.
A typical medieval kingdom whose power eclipsed neighbour’s existence, was at the epicenter of the region bordered, Present Tanzania and Lake Victoria to the south, Bunyoro kingdom to the west, Lake Kioga to the North and Busoga Kingdom to the west. Present day Buganda has 20 counties

The Origins are not clear and myths 1,2,3 4 handed down by ancestors are just one of the few mediums from which we derive its inner workings. Younger generations believe the civilization has existed for a thousand or so years.

At the helm of the monarchy is a King, Kintu believed to have prevailed over as the very first king, since then 36 Kings have reigned in. The Ganda’s social settings organized through a stratum of Clans all performing particular duties to the monarchy. The royals also have a clan of their own

What is astounding was the mode of organization Similar to modern Government full with legislative body (lukiiko), its hierarchy from elders in the smallest units for say ten households to premiership the overall head of all Subjects holding power in trust to king.

Certain unestablished beliefs that Buganda kingdom had some relationship with Bunyoro Kitara but Kingdom believed to have split earlier but, it’s however disputable.

Classical myths of creation relating to the tenets of the death merchant (walumbe) and life, and how they were conferred on earthly beings of the time. Typical African belief of the supernatural comes to life.Walumbe is rumored to have disappeared in caves in Ttanda as some litearature narrates


The Babiito are said to have been part of Bunyoro Kitala Kingdom earlier but had relinquished and become an autonomous Babiito kingdom, times came when aggressor Bunyoro which was considered oppressive was up in arms trying to retake the Babiito back.

It was time to request protection from the all powerful Buganda who took them in as part of their territory making kooki (Babiito territory an insatiable part of Buganda, a kingdom within a kingdom phenomenon)

Buganda was originally small but grew organically wrestling huge chunks of land from neighbours through waging war, pacts like the Babiito arrangement.

The early Baganda though good warriors were devout farmers and fishermen whose staple crop was banana, having arrived from ">afar, the crop was adopted and has become part of the inseparable part of Buganda Culture.

Banana fibers used from preparing food, to putting reeds together in hut construction. Other assortments of items used in daily life made from the Banana fibers include baskets, hats, and mats among others.

Wild tubers (yams) were also a vital ingredient on the menu of Baganda folklore, tiny sour eggplants (Katunkuma) and leafy material was up on any meal.

Brewing was such an important part of traditional for beer was a centerpiece in celebration, weddings, feasts, offerings and many other activities. To this day local beer is still being prepared and can be seen being brewed to this day.

Meat sources were mainly from Hunting in the wild and Fishing but also these were also one of the favourite pastimes. Kings could go to Hunting trips around the kingdom with their subjects, Munyonyo on the shores of Lake Victoria for centuries has been such a place were crew from various clans in the Kingdom compete to find the best watermen infront of their King.
Wrestling,omweeso were also favorite sports that was conducted on county basis since time immemorial but the latest entrant in the sports field is football having arrived in the 19th century.

Some of the varieties hunted for Meat were Uganda Kob etc.

Marriage was organized in a way that and a vital part of the cultural norm. As early as 16 years a boy had to introduce their newfound love to parents, it involved paying Dowry which took many forms including Beer etc.


The aunties would coach the ladies before being delivered as brides to their men and the weddings were real colourful, couples donning backcloth would tread round and what an air of celebration. Today’s weddings though still posses certain tenets of tradition have radically lost many items from Dress to Food and a lot more tending to a westernized style.

A back cloth has been here for hundreds of years and Baganda folklore consider the fabric one of the most important in their culture from making king’s and subjects dressing. The many back cloth cottage industries still thrive and one must acquire themselves a souvenir made from this fabric to witness this piece of medieval art first hand, Shirts, Hats, Suits, Table mats among others.

The drum is another vital ingredient spicing up the colourful festivities of the Kingdom and one can see first hand how drumming is done and the art of drum making, even acquiring one for yourself is no mean feat. From Coronation of Kings to weddings, from alerting community about major events to worship the drum has come of age

Worship was mainly traditional with objects like trees, stones etc being venerated but missionaries rendered many a traditional worshipper old fashioned though some people still go to the spirits for healing, and some wealth seekers still harness the traditional practices. Those possessed still go to seek counsel as well.The most famous developments where religion clashed with traditional beliefs,read about the 22 young baganda martryed by king Mwanga

Luganda is the language spoken by Baganda though varies slightly depending on which county one comes from,most All baganda will definately understand each other.Interested in visiting this spectacular Kingdom?




Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb