Team East Africa 1: USPCA


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
July 2nd 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, we are now finishing up our time in Uganda. We spent the last week working with Dr. Berna in her private practice and in her work with the USPCA. Among our different activities, we got to travel around Kampala and some surrounding areas helping with average practice type animal activities (deworming, abscesses, vaccines, spays). It is different because most people get home visits, instead of going into the clinic. The most entertaining visit was one dog with a chain stuck on its neck (very vicious dog, it took 2 tries and a Rabies pole and a few towels to sedate it). We managed to get the chain off, but with the muzzle on, the dog was in a permanent snarl, even though it was pretty much asleep. Miraculously, no people were hurt.

With the USPCA we participated in a free clinic in one of the poorer neighbourhoods. They've been having the clinic for a few years, so everyone knows the drill. We walked around vaccinating and giving deworming pills. On Saturday we returned for a spay/neuter clinic, and got to try our hands at some surgery, while in the locale of a primary school kindergarten room. Either way, we learned a lot and had some fun.

Tuesday we're off to Tanzania, so this is our last day in Uganda.

-Sarah


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb