My Last Saturday


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
January 20th 2007
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sheraton in KampalaSheraton in KampalaSheraton in Kampala

I used to work for a Sheraton property in Florida, so I was excited to see a familiar landmark. :)
Faith and I went shopping in Kampala today...we took public transportation - a taxi. While taking a taxi is not something I've done very often at home, it is very much a way of life for the locals. Taxis are like mini vans which hold approximately 20 people - I was grateful that we got to sit in the front. So, after about an 45 minutes of stopping every couple of blocks, we finally made it to Kampala. However, the taxi driver dropped us off further than we actually wanted to go, so we walked back through Kampala in search of "African Village" so I could do some souvenir shopping. We only had a couple of hours to go shopping, so it was frustrating that it took us 30 minutes to make our way back to where we actually wanted to go.

After we finished shopping, we starting making our way back to the taxi park (on the other side of the city) and we saw one of Shannon's vehicles parked on a side street...we called a couple of people to find out who had the car to see if we could get a ride back, instead of taking another
A Casino???A Casino???A Casino???

Huh...who knew?
taxi. Fortunately for us, David (one of the wokers from the orphanage) was in Kampala for the day and gave us a ride back. Because there was traffic on the usual route back to Mukono, we took a back road, which gave me an opportunity to capture more pictures of how the locals lived. I have enjoyed seeing how locals live; while it gives me an appreciation for all I have access to in America, it has also taught me what one needs to live at a basic level.

After dinner, some friends came over for game night, which usually consisted of either Hearts or UNO...this time it was lots of UNO that lasted well into the night! 😊

Denial has set it...my time here cannot be over so soon...

I MUST come back...soon!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

ParliamentParliament
Parliament

So, I took a picture of the sign, but forgot to take a picture of the building...what was I thinking?
A side street...A side street...
A side street...

I love this place - you can get just about anything...on a side street!
Faith...Faith...
Faith...

Isn't she so adorable??? She hates going into the city, but she took me so I could go shopping! I love her!
Sweet FriendshipSweet Friendship
Sweet Friendship

We had a great day...I will miss her when I leave!
Soda in a BagSoda in a Bag
Soda in a Bag

We were thirsty so we stopped for a soda...it costs more to take the bottle, so they just pour the soda in a plastic bag so you can take it to go...how fun is that?!
Soda in a Bag...Soda in a Bag...
Soda in a Bag...

I love it! :)
Safe and ProtectedSafe and Protected
Safe and Protected

There are armed guards pretty much everywhere, but it actually makes me feel pretty safe.
Pictures from the car...Pictures from the car...
Pictures from the car...

I was able to capture some pretty good photos on my last drive home from Kampala...enjoy!
ConstructionConstruction
Construction

It's rare to see a tall building outside of the city...
Treats for Game NightTreats for Game Night
Treats for Game Night

Since it was my last Saturday night, my new friends came to play cards...UNO...I love UNO!!! :)
Let the games begin!Let the games begin!
Let the games begin!

We usually played on teams - boys against girls - and the last gender to go out is the loosing team. GIRLS RULE!!!
New FriendsNew Friends
New Friends

Anthony, Me, Christopher and Jotham


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb