Carthage and Sidi Bousaid


Advertisement
Tunisia's flag
Africa » Tunisia » Tunis » Carthage
September 21st 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.8565, 10.3306

What a fantastic day in Tunisia. Carthage was the centre of the Carthaginian Empire in antiquity. The city has existed for nearly 3,000 years, developing from a Phoenician colony of the 1st millennium BC into the capital of an ancient empire. This city was a major draw card in my decision to visit Tunisia. We had hoped the ruins might be walking or public transport distance from our hotel, but alas it didn't really seem to be the case. The hotel recommended we do a tour with a cab. Oh boy, here comes rip off city. Fortunately this wasn't the case. We had a great day out thanks to the guidance of our Tunisian cab driver come guide, Nourah. The hotel recommended him as their best English speaking guide. His English vocabulary and understanding was probably around 17 words, but every one helped, and it was fun trying to play charades throughout the day to convey messages. For four hours, he charged us a fair price of 75 Dinar total, keeping a meter running. He dropped us at the major 5 historical Carthage and Roman sites around Tunis, gave a rough negotiable time at each, and waited to pick us up for deliverance to the next stop.
The five stops were as follows, a small Roman Arena, City of Carthage site and Museum, Roman Theatre, Antonin Baths and the Carthage Port. At each of these sites we were treated to really raw and largely untouched ruins. Carthage structures, antiquities, monuments and recreations, as well as ruins and artifacts from Rome, after their capture and annex of the Carthage Empire. Such a perfect day for it too. Beautiful warmth, blue skies, before palm trees and aqua blue water of the Gulf of Tunis.
After an inspired tour of Carthage, we finished up at the pretty City of Bou Said. This was a pretty village, build up along cliff faces by the beach, characterised by its white and blue buildings, beautiful sandy beaches, and street bazaars. After a short time here, our guide had us back at our hotel. Time for delicious burgers fora late lunch nearby. We spent the afternoon swimming in the pool and relaxing. Nat even had time for a haircut!
Dinner at a local restaurant was also excellent, steak with peppers and vegetables for a moderate price. Almond lemonade on the side of course. One more full day in Tunisia awaits us tomorrow. Exploring the city centre and perhaps just enjoying the sun sounds good to me, as we look to get into wind down mode. Just over a week from now until we start to sail homewards, and leave Europe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 88, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb