Leaving Tunis to explore Tunisia


Advertisement
Tunisia's flag
Africa » Tunisia » Sousse
May 21st 2011
Published: May 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Too bad the guys can't find time to relaxToo bad the guys can't find time to relaxToo bad the guys can't find time to relax

At a cafe near Tunis--hanging out with the locals.
After telling our Canadian goodbye as he left for the airport, dad and I hopped in the car with our new driver and took off down the coast of Tunisia. We drove through small villages and saw a lot of agriculture along our way, including wheat harvest, vineyards, fruit trees and herds of sheep/goats. The countryside is beautiful and some of the estates remind us of France.

After driving only a couple of hours, we stopped in Sousse to spend the night. We are staying on the beach with incredible views. We found an old 4 star hotel--paid about 25 dollars each for ocean view suite that included breakfast. There is a nice boardwalk where local tourists and local residents seem to gather. Very popular place.

While we were out walking in Sousse, a small rain storm rolled in but really didn't even settle the dust. Before bedtime, the wind really picked up which made the waves roll in with a fury. Slept with our windows and doors open to catch the ocean breezes and it sounded like we were on a boat.

We left Sousse to go to Kairouan to see the Great Mosque. We walked around
No, not exactly the Golden ArchesNo, not exactly the Golden ArchesNo, not exactly the Golden Arches

The closest thing we have seen to Western style restaurants.
the city and toured a few spots of interest--Koran school, famous well with working camel and the old city.

As we were going about town we saw a woman get hit by a car--right in front of us. Dad saw her get hit and fall, I just saw her on the ground. After a bit, it seemed she was going to be okay. Everything we have read about travel safety mentions that travelers are more likely to get injured in a car accident than anything else. Yikes!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

So hard to say goodbye...So hard to say goodbye...
So hard to say goodbye...

Kyle is the perpetual lawyer which means his vacations are shorter than the rest of us. He needed to get back to do legal things, so he flew home early and left us to wander around Tunisia. We miss him and his French speaking skills!!
Old Medina in SousseOld Medina in Sousse
Old Medina in Sousse

We stopped to rest on our walk around the old city. The Medina was bustling, but void of tourists. I walked through the food market in the covered souqs and had the luxury of witnessing a rat being killed by an angry shop owner. Couldn't have had better timing, huh?
New definition of sitting on a camelNew definition of sitting on a camel
New definition of sitting on a camel

If only I had bigger bags to bring home these crazy guys! We spotted this in Sousse, Tunisia.
Alawys time for a leisurely mealAlawys time for a leisurely meal
Alawys time for a leisurely meal

This cute little neighborhood restaurant was near our hotel in Sousse. The owner seemed to know every diner, except us of course. Had beef stroganoff--very good and cheap. The waiter brought us a series of strarters and we wolfed them all down except the plate of fish with bones. "you don't like fish?" Nope!
Drawing water from the well with the help of a CamelDrawing water from the well with the help of a Camel
Drawing water from the well with the help of a Camel

This big guy was very sweet and well trained. Every morning he walks up the steep stairs to get to the top of the well and then circles on command to get the water. This was in Kairouan, the 4th holiest site of Islam.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb