Atheism and the Daily Report


Advertisement
Togo's flag
Africa » Togo
July 26th 2009
Published: August 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Me and VirginieMe and VirginieMe and Virginie

Virginie and I share a bag of cement during one of our many breaks.
Well another day of work (2 hrs) and a lot of relaxing --- gotta love the fact that we had four guys “shoveling” including both “leaders😞we only have 3 shovels), while the rest of us had to haul gravel; or the fact I have to write a daily report… Who the fuck gives a shit when we ate!

All this X-tianity here has aroused my atheist sentiments (also reading Joyce). If asked “why don’t you believe in God” (the X-tian one)? I say I see absolutely no reason to follow the tenets of X-tianity faith as opposed to the any other. Nothing is apparent that proves that the Bible is the correct interpretation --- in fact much of it can be disputed and disproved by science, so to be X-tian would have as much validity for me as saying that the world was created by my bic pen 15 minutes ago and our past is all one big collective memory. The same is true for all other “true religions”. Well then how did we come into existence? Metaphysically speaking I have no idea! Nor has anyone else in the history of human consciousness. They have only thought they have. The very word “existence” speaks to not only our inability to comprehend the answer but to the fact that after all these billions of years we are no closer to even understanding the question than the single celled organism that begot us. I will take a leap of faith and say that we shall never come one inch closer to understanding the “big question” no matter how long we exist as a species… What do I mean by “big question”? Why does the universe or universes exist? What does eternity and infinite really mean? Science is our best hope and it is no hope at all --- the answer, the question are beyond us. The above stated questions are only shadows of the true questions that we are seeking.


Anyway, here’s the Report for 26 July

The day commenced as always with a 0615 reveille, although several of the volunteers had arisen prior to this timing in order to prepare for the day. At 0745 the volunteers commenced our daily fare of bread and butter with coffee, tea or hot chocolate all created with lemon-scented water courtesy of group D. Upon completion at 0755 the group commenced at discussion on key topics --- namely the over use of breakfast drinks, noise prior to 0615 and our plans for the weekend in Kpalime. The group agreed to continue discussions on this final subject later in the day. At 0815 the group proceeded to continue hauling gravel to the future playground. Despite having to travel an extended distance thanks to the supervision from the “animateurs”, the group was able to transport a significant amount of gravel prior to the end of the working day at 1100. All this in spite of a rain delay of 15 mins. At 0900. At 1212 lunch was served, consisting of couscous and fish sauce a la tomate. The volunteers took the opportunity of the rainy afternoon to sleep, read, draw or write the daily report.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb