Tanzania Travel Health Tips


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
July 16th 2013
Published: January 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Tanzania Travel Health Tips by malasons Tanzania




HEALTH REQUIREMENTS
Visitors must produce a valid yellow fever certificate obtained no less than ten days prior to travel. It is also crucial that you obtain malaria prophylactics before entering Tanzania. When purchasing these, please tell your doctor or pharmacist that you intend visiting Tanzania.

Precautionary measures to take to prevent contact with mosquitoes include: insect repellent, cover up at sundown, sleep under a mosquito net and wear long sleeve clothing and long trousers in the evenings.

Immunisation against cholera, polio, hepatitis A & B, typhoid and tetanus is recommended if travelling by road. There is a current warning that Tanzania's immigration authorities are insisting on cholera certificates or will administer a vaccine themselves.

<strong style="font-size: 1.4rem;">MEDICAL SERVICES
Medical facilities are limited and medicines are often unavailable. If medical assistance is given, doctors and hospitals require immediate payment. It is therefore advisable to obtain medical insurance prior to travel to Tanzania.

Emergency services and first aid are unavailable outside major cities and tourist areas. It is wise to bring with you any medication you may require, as you will not have access to pharmacies in most of the areas you'll visit.

There is great concern about HIV/AIDS; recent estimates suggest that 10%!o(MISSING)f the population may be HIV-positive. There are many hospitals in Tanzania, but most are very understaffed. Tanzania has an harmonious national culture, one that is based on a subtle but strong social code of courtesy and respect. Tanzania culture is a result of African, Arab, European and Indian influences. The African people of Tanzania represent about 120 tribal groups. The largest groups are of Bantu origin, including Dukuma, Nyamwezi, Makonde, Haya and Chagga. The Maasai are of Nilotic origin, as are the Arusha and the Samburu.

Tanzania is one of the least urbanised countries in sub-Saharan Africa, but traditional African ideals are being deliberately adapted to modern life. Tanzanians are friendly to foreigners and amongst themselves. Politeness, respect and modesty are also highly valued, so it would be very helpful to learn some Kiswahili greetings before visiting. Take the time to greet people before you ask them for directions.

Handshakes is very important in social etiquette. Tanzanians frequently continue holding hands throughout a conversation. Note that the right hand is usually used for eating, while the left is traditionally used for toilet duties. You should try not to pass items to others with your left hand. When receiving items from others, do so with both hands, or with the right hand while touching the left hand to your right elbow.
Immodest attire, public affection and open anger are disrespectful to the Tanzanian people. In Zanzibar, it is important for women to dress modestly out of respect for Muslim cultural beliefs. Men should not wear shorts on the main island, and women should wear dresses that cover their shoulders and knees. This does not apply on Mnemba Island.

For more information about our website please visit:www.malasonssafaris-tours.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0827s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb