The first blog!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
November 7th 2008
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello All!
Sorry I haven't really been able to submit my first blog untill now as I have come to discover that everything in Africa takes time and what would normally take 1 minute to do takes 5 hours but anyway here I am!
We arrived in Dar es Salaam on Sunday where we were frantically asked where we were going and if we needed a taxi. So after a bit of bartering we got into a cab to the first hostel where we charged 'muzungo' - white prices but we got there safe. Alice and I were incredibly tired so decided to fall asleep to singing women in the nearby village whilst underneath our mosquito nets.
The next day we arrived in Moshi after an interesting 8 hour un airconditioned bus journey with strange Tanzanian soap operas. Dennis (our African correspondant to Hostel Hoff) met us there and walked a short distance to Hostel Hoff. The Hostel is lovely, most of the people are western so some nights people watch movies but Alice and some of our new found friends much prefer to sit on the balcony, chat, drink tea/beer and watch the sun set before dinner. The food is good, mostly western in hostel but have had a few nice African meals of rice and beans for really low prices. We have Masai tribes men garding the hostel, they are very friendly and are partial to the odd game of 'uno' here and there - we have been invited to see one of their villages on Sunday which should be an experience!
Alice and I went to 2 volunteer projects to experience them as see which we would prefer to work at for the next 2 months. The first we went to is an orphanage and school called 'Kili Kids' situated at the base of mount Kilimanjaro and is obviously not the nicest of facilities but with a few bits here and there could be lovely. We spent time teaching english and playing with the kids whp had shocking stories to how they had become orphanes - but more about that later. The second project was called 'KYGN' - Kilimanjaro Young Girls in Need. Here there are alot more pupils to a class and obviously all girls who come from nearby villages. It was lovely to play and sing with them and after take them home to their tradition village with the other teachers. The public transport back from here (daladala bus) is crazy. Its like being squashed into a sardine tin with people hanging out the windows and hanging on to the back - luckily people are kind enough to give their seats as I suppose they may enjoy riding out the window??? So I have decided to stay at Kili Kids and Alice at KYGN. We thought it best to doour own thing as to get our own experience out of it and not rest on the other for guidance. I had my first day yesterday with Natasha (another volunteer from Hostel Hoff) but she is leaving today so I shall take over. I have a class of 4 BEAUTIFUL children so smiley, I have fallen in love already so am excited for what I can teach them over the next couple of months!
The first day at Kili Kids we met a women Mary who is getting married tomorrow and insisted that we come along and wear the tradition dress of the other ladies. So we have been measured and fitted. Natasha and I picked up the dresses yesterday to discover a shiny mushy pea green dresses - mmmm lovely. I will upload the photos ASAP.
I have 5 mins left so just the finish off. Went to see a live Tanzanian band yesterday with Dennis and some other volunteers - amazing. Having a fantastic start to the 9months and roll on the next adventure! Will catch you all up as soon as possible.
Lots of Love!!
Meg xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



10th November 2008

GET IN MY LOVE! So proud of you both! Glad to see you're enjoying yourselves and making a difference! =) Lots of love xxx
11th November 2008

Offley isn't the same without you
Sounds magic meg! The village is so lonely without you, pasta, tea and america's next top model. But I'm keeping the meg vibe alive wearing your clothes. Will let you know if anything exciting happens here in Offley...like if a cow escapes from a field or something. x

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb