Stone Town, Zanzibar


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Zanzibar City
December 5th 2012
Published: December 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Stone Town, Zanzibar by Amani Tours



<strong style="font-size: 1.4rem;">Location: Western Unguja Island, Zanzibar

<strong style="font-size: 1.4rem;">Stone Town

Stone Town or Mji Mkongwe, in Swahili meaning "ancient town", is the capitol city of Zanzibar on the main island of Unguja, formally known as Zanzibar. Mji Mkongwe is built on a triangular peninsula of land on the western coast of the island. The oldest part of the stone town consists of a warren of narrow alleys to houses, shops, bazaars, and mosques. Its Swahili architecture incorporates elements of Arab, Persian, Indian, European and African styles. The Arab houses are particularly notable because they have large and ornately carved wooden doors and other unusual features such as enclosed wooden verandas. In 2006, its population was 282,163.

Portuguese invasion and control of the Swahili Coast in the late 16th century ended the golden age of the Zanzibar archipelago, although the Omani Arabs returned to power less than a century later. Today, many of the winding streets and high townhouses of old Stone Town remain unchanged and visitors can walk between the sultan’s palace, the House of Wonders, the Portuguese fort and gardens, the merchants’ houses, and the Turkish baths of the old city. Zanzibar's port city dominates the west coast of the island, although the beaches of Mangapwani, where the slave caves are located and nearby Bububu are less than half an hour’s drive away and a night or two spent on the east or north coasts is well worth the extra hour it takes to drive there. Just beyond Stone Town Zanzibar are the Chole Island Marine Park and nearby Prison, Grave, and Snake Islands, making a refreshing day-trip and a good break from exploring the winding passageways of the old city. In 2000, Stone Town was recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

How To Get There
Many international airlines from around the world fly to into Zanzibar, which is about a 10 minute, 7 km drive into town. Regional flights from Nairobi, Mombasa, Arusha and Dar es Salaam are operated daily. Stone Town is also accessable by sea with hourly ferriers departing from Dar es Salaam each day.

What To Do
Activities such as island hopping, swimming with dolphins, scuba diving and snorking are available. The one-day historical Stone Town tours and the spice tour are highly recommended

When To Go
Accessible year round. Dry season, June-August. Wet season November-March. December- February.

Accommodation
Stay at the Zanzibar Serena Inn, 236 Harumzi or Tembo Hotel in Stone Town

For more information about the Zanzibar Islands click here

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb