Final days in paradise....


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Zanzibar City
January 4th 2009
Published: January 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey All,

Sorry this might be a very quick update as usual I don’t have a long time on this computer. I can’t believe it was a whole week ago I wrote my last blog. I can’t remember if I told you about Christmas?? Well anyway it was great, Santa came to both Alice and I with presents deposited under our makeshift chrismtas tree made of branches, leaves and shells. The next couple of days were much like the rest, chilling out during the days, meeting up with fiend during the evenings. We had two Irish girlfriends from the Hostel staying in Zanzibar at the same time as us which has been great as they are such a laugh and really good company. Even though we had them here it hasn’t stopped us from meeting a massive mixture of people. We have met another Irish lot who we will meet with in Vic Falls and many many more including locals, Spanish, American, Canadian, Israeli everything.

On new years we were told that there was a massive party in the hotel that we were staying in in Kendwa Rocks and another one just up the beach from us which turned out to be one of our favorite hang out spots. So what we did was walk down the beach a little bit to our friends hotel where they had ‘traditional’ African dancing. Well traditional all I can say it was not. What we saw was essentially a sex show, it was insanely raunchy with African bums gyrating all over the shop but it was actually quite funny in the end as we saw lots of families with mall children coming to watch the how and running off in absolutely horror covering their little boys eyes. We then went a bit further to have some dinner in the beach side lodge. There we bumped into, completely out of the blue, the German girls we went on safari with. O we had dinner with them which was nice and then went back to our hotel for the party. We had the whole countdown on the beach with drinks and fireworks - the lot. After a couple of hours of dancing we decided to check out the other party which tuned out to be much better (just missing James in our cross over from parties) and partied until dawn where we then took a boat ride around for swimming with a friend we had met. Over all it was a brilliant night. We visited a place called Matembwe two days ago with a friend who has a house there ( a rich boy whose parents are in the jewelry business and they basically gave him this house in paradise) which is on the east coast of the island. This was nice to see as it was almost completely untouched by tourists and had a beautiful beach which made a nice change from this heavily touristy feel of Kendwa and Nungwi.

Yesterday we came down from the north of the island where all the stunning beaches are to the south to a place called stone town which is the main town of Zanzibar. We have a cool little bachelor pad with a kitchen living room and bedroom all for a fiver a night each!! Not bad eh? Stone town is a town full of little windy roads and undiscovered shops. The food is great and yesterday we passed by the night market where people were selling so many types of different foods from fried octopus and meats to banana beer. We plan to go there tonight to actually taste the food. We went out to a few local bar where we met some friends from up north and then on to a backstreet reggae bar where we were met with a drunken James - again. Hehe it was great and then we moved on to another bar where we left in the early hours of the morning. On my next blog I shall tell you more of the history and culture of stown town as we are doing all of that toursity stuff tomorrow. Other than this there I not much to report as it has been a week of fun and relaxing, fun and relaxing.

In 2 days we will travel from here onto Zambia by train from Dar es Salaam. I am soooo excited to move on to a whole new country a meet Alice’s cousin and start what feel like a whole separate section to the year,

I hope everyone is well at home.

Lots of Love xxxxxxx

Meg


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb