Day 223 - A Dala Dala is not a limo


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Zanzibar City
February 10th 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Today's plan was to travel to the east coast of Zanzibar island to a small village called Paje. There are various choices for a mode of transport: a chartered tourist transfer for $35, a minibus or taxi for $5-ish, or a Dala Dala (shared truck) for about half a dollar. We opted for the latter and had a great, if cramped, experience. We got dropped off by the roadside with no idea where to head so we just went to the beach and walked along it until we found a place to stay - and ended up in a bungalow on the beach. The sea here is that proper turquoise that makes people just want to go on holiday, and the sand is almost literally white. Ed introduced himself to the Indian Ocean for the first time and asked if it remembered Gemma from a few years ago. It did. The rest of the day was predictably uneventful and involved dinner and drinks by the ocean and a couple of hours planning the Asian leg of our trip. They say that you learn something new every day and today we learnt where Guam is - after reading that Gemma's dad met someone from Guam we thought we'd better look it up. We also managed to lose our insect repellent - not a good idea around here - and had fun and games locating some in the village. All the buildings look identical (small, old and made of stones) so we'd ask someone where a shop is and they'd yell at a small child who would then be made to reluctantly guide us to it. Once there we'd establish that they don't have any insect repellent and start the process over again.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb