Christmas On The Coast


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Matemwe
December 25th 2006
Published: January 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dhows On The CoastDhows On The CoastDhows On The Coast

A typical double-ended shore dhow stranded at low tide in the lagoon at Matemwe on the North East coast of Zanzibar

Those Bounty Moments


It's one of those moments you can't resist - the phone rings (turned on just to check for messages) and you can't help, looking out over the icing sugar sand into the turquoise lagoon, past the coconut palms and over the dancing beach crabs, shouting into the mouthpiece, in true Trigger Happy TV style - "Hello! I'm on a paradise beach in Zanzibar. It's all a bit shit really. Too much sand !"

We decided to do some serious relaxing after what was for me, a pretty hectic and very demanding four months of voluntary work. What better place to relax. Pretty much nothing to do other than stroll along the beach, stop for the odd drink in a small beach bar, paddle in the lagoon and watch the seaweed harvesting in rhythm with the tides.

Swam and strolled and eventually summoned the energy to go snorkelling on the Mnemba reef - my first experience of open sea snorkelling and one which took me by surprise. Choppy seas and an amazingly strong current quickly cleared the image of glass-still warm sheltered lagoons teaming with multi-coloured fish and bristling with amazing corals. The corals were there -
Seaweed FarmingSeaweed FarmingSeaweed Farming

As the tide drops, the lagoon off Matemwe gives up rows and rows of seaweed supports - the string tied between the posts provides an anchor on which clumps of brown seaweed grow, waiting to be harvested by the local villages.
although not looking in the best state and the fish were there, although not teaming. The tiny boat seemed miles away and the current and waves kept taking me further away. Got back exhausted but really pleased that I had got to see some amazing fish and eager to try again when we travel up the Kenyan coast.

We stayed in Matenwe for 5 nights and headed for Stone Town and then Paje. . .


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Seaweed Farming 2Seaweed Farming 2
Seaweed Farming 2

As the tide drops, the lagoon off Matemwe gives up rows and rows of seaweed supports - the string tied between the posts provides an anchor on which clumps of brown seaweed grow, waiting to be harvested by the local villages.
A Different Pace Of LifeA Different Pace Of Life
A Different Pace Of Life

The beach serves as the main route for bikes between the villages along the North East coast of Zanzibar. A cyclist passes a Dhow stranded by the low tide at Matemwe.
Not too shabby. .. Not too shabby. ..
Not too shabby. ..

The beach at Matemwe on the North East coast of Zanzibar.


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb