back from mbeya


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » West » Mbeya
December 20th 2006
Published: December 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

dont have energy to say alot right now being as i slept on the street under the bus last night. i just travelled in buses for 26 hours and the last four hours we had to stop because the police wouldnt let busses pass because it is around the christmas season and thus lots of armed robberies on the highways i guess, or at least a potential for.
short trip summary:
went to iringa by bus (6 hours) where it was quite cold, and host of one of the very few tanzanian movie theaters, beata and i saw "the truth about palestine." but only two tanzanians came and two other foreigners
the mountains there look like ice cream cones sprinked with boulders.
took a bike ride 15 kilometers to bizarre and amazing stone pillars
(for those of you who i wont be seeing soon, i will for sure put loads of picture up back in the usa)
and some less amazing, though could be if i stumbled upon them---stone tools found there.
the stone pillars were in a canyon and grew as high as a three story house.
the sides of the canyon were streaked white and red and yellow. reminded me a bit of the wild west, but the sourounding mountains are green green green
then took a bus to mbeya near the border with zambia and malawi.
tried to go hiking, but had to stop mid-way because rain.
learned lots of new chigon breathing techniques from beatas friends who we met up with and practiced in the town stadium with beautiful views of surrounding mountains.
took lots of different transports including two pickups to reach matema village on the shores of lake nyasa/lake malawi.
beautiful.
went on a dugout canoe to try to catch some fish for dinner but no luck.
went on a long hike to a spectacular waterfall.
then took a bus at five am and arrived here in dar a few hours ago.
going home tomorrow at 11 30 pm, which is unbelievable.
really, unbelievable.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb