On Safari!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
October 6th 2009
Published: October 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Here are some pics from the 5 day safari we did around Lake Manyara, the Serengeti and Ngorogoro crater.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

DaveDave
Dave

This was our view from the safari vehicle. The roof popped up so we could stand, getting a 360 degree view. It was great! (Except for the dust...)
SerengetiSerengeti
Serengeti

I am standing on a small rocky hill and the Serengeti plain stretches out for miles all around.
BaboonsBaboons
Baboons

The baboons are real characters. They hang around in families and you see lots of mums with babies hanging off their tummies or riding on their backs.
LeopardLeopard
Leopard

Just chillin in a tree after a hard nights hunting!
ElephantElephant
Elephant

This baby was 1-3 weeks old and just small enough to fit under his mum! We watched them for long time and they eventually walked right past us, within touching distance.
FlamingoFlamingo
Flamingo

The lakes are pretty dry so the flamingo are right out a long way from the road. We got a good view through the binoculars though.
GiraffeGiraffe
Giraffe

These guys are real characters too. Some are really curious about you and stand and stare while they chew.
HippoHippo
Hippo

The hippos are pretty noisy and can be quite fierce! Pays to keep your distance. The days we were there were so hot all they wanted to do was sit in the water.
Rift ValleyRift Valley
Rift Valley

That's the Rift Valley wall behind me, the boundary between 2 plates. Its pretty impressive.
LionLion
Lion

We managed to get very close to several groups of lions. This one looks fierce but he is just yawning. They are completely unbothered by the cars.
MaasaiMaasai
Maasai

So much to say here! They need a whole page or two. But in brief, they own cattle at the rim of the crater and bring them down to drink regularly.
LionsLions
Lions

3 males lions (probably brothers) walked straight for our vehicle at one stage (after Dave I think) so we got some great shots. The wildebeasts and Zebra in the background watched nervously!
MonkeyMonkey
Monkey

Isn't this guy lovely?!
Ngomi Tented siteNgomi Tented site
Ngomi Tented site

This is our 'tent'. It is on a permanent concrete pad and has a thatched roof over it. It was great to be able to sit out in the evenings and watch the animals go by!
Ngorogoro CraterNgorogoro Crater
Ngorogoro Crater

This crater is 21km long and 18km wide. It is surrounded by these high walls and in places is teeming with animals!
WildebeastWildebeast
Wildebeast

In the crater are several thousand Wildebeast! Their buddies have all migrated north, but these guys decided to stay.
The Ngorogoro crater The Ngorogoro crater
The Ngorogoro crater

This is the road out of the crater.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb