A visit to the Serengetti


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
February 28th 2006
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Serengetti, Tanzania

As we drove into the Serengetti, the first rain of the rainy season began to fall. As that happened, many animals came to drink out of the ditches on the road. At that point we had been travelling for about 12 hours, and of course get stuck behind a herd of elephants with babies on our way to the lodge. No recourse but to wait.

The next morning we headed out for an all day game drive. We had heard some rumours that there was a leopard in the area eating a kill. So we went off in search of that. We found the kill, but could not identify the leopard. So we waited about 20 minutes. She did eventually slink out from her hiding place and walk towards the jeep very slowly. As Karl snapped away, she went to have a nap under our jeep for 35 minutes. We tried to coax her out by starting the jeep. This did get her out from under our vehicle only to find another vehicle to sleep under for another 15 minutes. She eventually did get out, preen herself, scout a tree and climb up to take a nap. Another amazing experience! It was just awesome! She was so beautiful. Even our guides were taken aback by her boldness.

We took off for lunch and saw some new animals to us. But we were celebrities, because everyone saw this leopard under our jeep.

That afternoon, we went off hippo hunting. We did find them as it began to rain heavily again. The hippos were so excited about the rain that they turned their jaws upward and look like they are singing to the heavens. It was so sweet. Again, even our guides had never seen anything like this before.

The amazing part of the Serengetti is just its size. It is 14,000 square kms in size. That is 10x the size of the Maasai Mara. It is just huge.

The next morning, we headed off to the Ngorongoro crater.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb