The Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
September 5th 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After Nairobi and our visit to the Masai Mara we headed to Tanzania and the most feared part of the trip...the snake park! When we arrived at the snake park we decided it would be a good idea to look around the snake enclosures at night time in the dark...Ian kept his cool but I could tell that under that macho front he was absolutely crapping himself! We were poking our heads into pits thinking they were where the crocs were kept during the day, only to later discover that they were where poisonous snakes were kept!!! At that point i cacked it too! I stroked a baby croc through - that was cool!

From there we headed out for another few days on a 4x4 jeep with Victor, our driver! The roads to the Serengeti were awful and it took a good few hours to get there but we stopped off for the most amazing view of the Ngorongoro crater and that made up for the nightmare of a journey! The Serengeti was amazing but didn't see as much wildlife as we had in the Masai Mara as most of the animals had migrated, but we saw a few more giraffe close up. Had a good nights camping right in the middle of the park though and we were joined by Buffalo as we sat eating our dinner! Didn't find out til later in the week that the tour leader, Michelle, had been munched on by a scorpion at this camp. Also, we survived our second tornado that obliterated the campsite (well, blew some dust up and covered Chris who was in the way).

After spending time there we headed into the crater, which again was fantastic (apart from the drive in and out where the roads were rather thin with sheer drops at the side!). Again had a few animals join us when we camped at the top of the crater, including an elephant and zebra - check out the photos! Was our coldest night so far and breakfast was a struggle but managed to watch the sun come up over the crater before another game drive.

When we returned to the snake park campsite we had a tour of another Masai village and a camel ride - that was wicked! We called our camel Jeff but unfortunately he was a bit grumpy that morning and didn't take kindly to Ian having a photo with him - I reckon Ian farted whilst riding on him and that why he took a disliking to him but guess we'll never know!

After leaving the snake park we headed briefly to Arusha, which is the halfway point from Cairo to Capetown then off to Dar Es Salam where we went for a swim, kicked some older folks arses at beach volleyball then went for a victory swim. The following morning we were up at 4am to catch the ferry to Zanzibar!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



24th September 2008

WOW!!
Hey u two! I cant get over ur amazing pictures!! They look so professional n surreal! Cant believe ur seeing all that with ur own eyes!! Im soooooo jealous! Im currently off work at the mo feelin VERY ill, swear the lack of sunshine doesnt help!! Sounds like ur havin a wicked time, keep us updated and be careful with all those creatures around...love bec xxxx

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb