Around Town


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Moshi
May 22nd 2007
Published: May 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

RoundaboutRoundaboutRoundabout

No stop signs or traffic lights - just roundabouts
Hello Everyone,
It's been another good week here in Tanzania. George has been working hard at getting the rooms painted inside our house. Most of the walls had been painted with a type of whitewash that comes off if the wall is wiped, so we needed to get the walls painted with something more washable. We've got the living room/dining room painted, as well as three bedrooms, and George's study room. We want to get the painting done before our belongings arrive.

I know that some of you are curious about life in Moshi - what does it look like, where do we shop, etc. so I thought I'd include a few pictures this time of the town of Moshi. Shopping can be quite interesting! No such thing as Home Depot. George needed some plumbing parts the other day, so we drove around, hoping to find a vendor that just might have what we needed. The other day I stumbled upon a supply of white sugar! It's not always available. Most of the time we have to use a course, light brown sugar, which is fine for alot of uses, but white sugar sure is nice for a glass of iced tea!

On Thursday evening, our family, John Hall, John's parents - David and Judy, Cory Hall, and Charles Creel met for a devotional and supper, and then played some games. This was David and Judy's last night in Tanzania. We enjoyed their visit here very much.

Sunday morning Charles Creel preached a good lesson on the responsibility that each Christian has to study the Bible, and the need to be able to teach others. It was great timing, in that we are gearing up for our campaign in Moshi, which will be the 3rd week in June. Wednesday, before Bible study, there was a planning meeting for the campaign. Another meeting is scheduled for tomorrow. Most of the campaigners from the States will be working the first two weeks of June in Arusha, then returning home. The Moshi campaign will be carried out mostly by members of the church who live around and attend the congregation in Moshi. We are very impressed with the initiative of a many of the Christians here. We are working with a great group of people.

We are slowly (poli-poli) adding some new words to our Swahili vocabulary. I have
Open MarketOpen MarketOpen Market

No telling what you'll find!
been working on learning numbers, as well as the books of the Bible. We are understanding a few more words to some of the songs that are sung during worship.

Here is the first verse in Swahili of "Just As I Am":
Nitwae hivi nilivyo,
Umemwaga damu yako,
Nawe ulivyoniita,
Bwanu Yesu, naja, naja.


Sunday evening John Hall took Julia, Jacob, and Kelly to Arusha. Monday was Julia and Jacob's first day of school. Jacob is rooming with Kelly at the school. Julia is staying with Cy and Stephanie Stafford, who have been so kind to offer for her to stay with them when she is in school. This is another transition for our family - suddenly 2 kids are gone during the week! We are glad that they'll get to come home for the weekends. They will have classes for two weeks, then will have the month of June off, during the "campaign season."

George left yesterday, along with Elly Martin (a Christian man from Arusha who helps the missionaries with legal matters and the logistics of getting paperwork done) to go to Dar es Salaam. George needed to get some paperwork accomplished that could
MoshiMoshiMoshi

Notice the caption on the building "None to be worshipped but Allah - Muhammad is his prophet"
only be done there. It was a long bus ride, but they arrived safely. They will likely return home Wednesday or Thursday. I'm sure he'll have some stories to tell when he returns - one of them being that on the way, the bus stalled. A number of passengers, including George, got out and pushed the bus. The driver was able to "jump start" the engine, and off they went.

We have received word that our container officially reached the port of Mombasa last week, and the latest information we have is that our container may arrive in Moshi sometime next week. We are all very anxious for that day.

We love you all, and thank God daily for his providential care in our lives. We are so blessed. May each of us be used as a tool in God's service.

In Christian Love,
Joy

Advertisement



22nd May 2007

With Great Thanksgiving
So glad to see Moshi and to "hear " from your sweet writing that things are going well for the plus 6. That is exciting news about your "goods" arriving-I have been in Tanzania when that has happened and it truly is joyous. We continue to keep your names lifted up before the Lord God and continue to pray for you safety, health and good works. There are a bunch of folks in Michigan that saw your faces and heared a fat boy from Ms tell them about the work of TZ 2000 and all of the great servants in Tanzania who are after one for soul for the Kingdom over this past weekend. Hope both congregations will come on board and help us. Please be careful on those roads, take care of your good selves and know that you are loved, admired and respected by all that know you. as always, just ken
22nd May 2007

Ah, those roundabouts!!
I've been through those in Trinidad. It kind of feels like you just jump in when there is a tiny hole and jump out when you get to your spot all the time driving on the wrong side of the road!! Did you find a food thermometer?? Praying for you, Kathryn
22nd May 2007

i want to come visit!

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb