A Day in Lake Manyara


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Lake Manyara
February 28th 2006
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lake Manyara

Lake Manyara is the only place in Eastern Africa with lions that fall asleep in trees. While we were not privileged enough to witness this phenomenon, we did see lions, baboons, more monkeys, elephants, hippos, zebras, gazelles, giraffes and many new birds. So it was good fun and a pretty low key end to our last safari.

The lake Manyara area is quite affluent and fertile. There is lots of rain and agriculture and it shows in the homes, shops and roads. People are not quite as desperate and needy. They seem to have a reasonable standard of life.

In Lake Manyara we stayed at the Wild Africa Lodge. It was a neat place because the rooms were actually tents. It is difficult to explain, but essentially the foundation is built with a bathroom. A frame is erected. Then a canvas tent is erected in the frame. A thatched roof is added over top (for an authentic look) and you have a neat looking hut. The whole thing has electricity and a proper bed. It was very clean and an interesting experience. Best of all, we had a view over a Maasai farm and saw the sun rise from bed in the morning. Lots of fun!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb