And now let's go over to SW19 ...


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Lake Manyara
July 5th 2009
Published: August 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I have a dismal night's sleep that's only partly alleviated by the egg and sausage that appears at breakfast, and the rest of the day sees me coughing and snivelling. The other three bear the presence of the contagious Englishman with admirable fortitude.

Lake Manyara NP is close to the camp and is famous for its hippos, tree-climbing lions, and (at certain times of the year but not now) quantities of flamingos. However we strike out on much that's new and the six hours we spend there seem to last for twelve and the visit begins to drag - yes, just two days in and we're already getting fussy. The highlight is definitely the hippo pool. Here, we are allowed to leave the car and watch from behind barriers at an appropriate remove from the pool. There are scores of hippos lounging in the water, and a similar number on land covering themselves with dust. Other animals such as zebras are drinking here, and there are plenty of storks and pelicans in attendance too.

Back at the camp, an afternoon of relaxation beckons - a rare gap in what will otherwise be a full itinerary. I decide to watch the Wimbledon men's singles final on the camp TV, as I have been informed that Andy Murray prevailed in his semi hence there will be British representation for the first time since before the war. Unfortunately this information turns out to be incorrect and it's actually another Andy - Roddick - who progressed from that semi-final.

What I'm expecting to be a diversion for a couple of hours of course turns into one of the most gripping finals in Grand Slam history, drawing a crowd of other campers. There is earnest discussion amongst the onlookers as to whether tennis success and the attractiveness of the player's wife are indeed inversely related or if the sample set on show is insufficient from which to draw such a conclusion.

I have another early night courtesy of my lingering cold.

Dull but possibly useful info
i. See previous blog entry (Tarangire).


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Get right in there, why don't you?Get right in there, why don't you?
Get right in there, why don't you?

Baboon conducting an anal delve


15th August 2009

i love the top left picture of first one page
21st August 2009

sunnier climes
Hi John, despite your cold, glad you are enjoying travels more now you have reached Tanzania. Glancing at this blog, I thought you had found a tourist paradise for obese hippies... my mistake, hippoes. Looking forward to your photos of South Africa.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb