5895 Meters oh my


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
July 7th 2015
Published: July 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

So we climbed Africa's highest peak! And we both made it - a few headaches, some slight dizziness and a little stumbling - but we did it! The highest point, Uhuru Peak, is at 5895 Meters. That's really high. We camped on the sides of the mountain each night on our way up, we had an amazing group of porters, cook and guide to help us along the way. On the 5th night, the alarm went of at 12am and with the wind howling we dressed for our climb. After some porridge and coffee we started our climb. We started around 1am (our guide said we were fast so we started late relative to others) and walked by the light of the moon to the peak. Pole pole (slowly slowly in Swahili) we walked. It was so cold and so windy but in the end we made it!

We just arrived back in Arusha and took really long showers. Glad we are not at home so we don't have to feel guilty about using so much water - we were really grimy.
With that, enjoy the photos!
Alyssa and Andrew


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Machame campMachame camp
Machame camp

We spent our first night here - around 3100 M
Into the Heather ZoneInto the Heather Zone
Into the Heather Zone

Day 2 views started like this
Day 2Day 2
Day 2

Us with our guide Ben
Shira CampShira Camp
Shira Camp

Night 2 - in the moorland at 3840M
Day 3Day 3
Day 3

Walking into the desert zone above 4000 M
Day 3Day 3
Day 3

And that means day 3 without showers...
PortersPorters
Porters

Amazingly strong young men always leaving camp after us and arriving before us.
View from Barranco WallView from Barranco Wall
View from Barranco Wall

Clouds - typical view when we looked down.
Day 5 Day 5
Day 5

On our way to base camp and desperately in need of a shower.
BasecampBasecamp
Basecamp

2nd highest peak in the distance
Uhuru PeakUhuru Peak
Uhuru Peak

Holy cow we made it!!!
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

Typical breakfast - and we booked the budget version. Way above and beyond our expectations.
Our crew! Our crew!
Our crew!

Amazing guys! Who would have thought 2 people would need 8 porters, 1 cook, 1 guide and 1 assistant guide... We sure didn't.
Bad way to get downBad way to get down
Bad way to get down

This is what you get towed down on if you get too sick or injured. Not a good idea.


7th July 2015

Congrats on making it to the top of the mountain!!!
7th July 2015

Congratulations
Congratulations on your successful climb. I really like your picture of the two of you on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro!
7th July 2015

Congratulations
Congratulations on your successful climb. I really like your picture of the two of you on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro!
8th July 2015

Thank You for Your Always Educational and Enjoyable Blogs!
Hi Alyssa and Andrew, I hadn’t read your blog entrys about your Africa trip until today (due to a combination of things including lack of Internet access). But today I read them. I very greatly enjoy, as always, your written descriptions of places and experiences – and your many wonderful photos too! Over the past couple of years, I have developed a great interest in Africa, although I don’t know much. So for me, it’s so good to hear, see, and learn about Africa through your travel experiences! P.S.: Re your most recent blog entry: Your climbing to the very top of Mt. Kilimanjaro was a great accomplishment! Congratulations! Jim (Lund)
8th July 2015

Thank You for Your Always Educational and Enjoyable Blogs!
(Alyssa and Andrew: The following corrects an error in what I think I previously submitted. So please accept this instead.) Hi Alyssa and Andrew, I hadn’t read your blog entries about your Africa trip until today (due to a combination of things including lack of Internet access). But today I read them. I very greatly enjoy, as always, your written descriptions of places and experiences – and your many wonderful photos too! Over the past couple of years, I have been developing a great interest in Africa, although I don’t know much. So for me, it’s so good to hear, see, and learn about Africa through your travel experiences! P.S.: Re your most recent blog entry: Your climbing to the very top of Mt. Kilimanjaro was a great accomplishment! Congratulations! Jim (Lund)
20th July 2015

Congratulations!!!
Can't wait to hear more when you are back. You two are awesome!!

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb