DAY 1 - Arrival in Tanzania


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
June 22nd 2011
Published: December 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Arusha Coffee LodgeArusha Coffee LodgeArusha Coffee Lodge

We stayed at the luxurious Arusha Coffee Lodge.
My husband and I are members of Exclusive Resorts, and we participated in their Once-in-a-Lifetime trip to Tanzania in June 2011. It was a nine-day itinerary and our first time to Africa, and it was the most amazing experience.

The company that operated the tour, Tanzania by Firelight (www.firelightexpeditions.com) is based in Arusha and is owned by a native Tanzanian and his wife. Their properties include a luxury mobile camp in the Serengeti, Mwanga Moto, which is repositioned several times each year in pursuit of the Great Migration. They also have a permanent luxury camp, Palahala Lodge in Katavi National Park, which we did not visit on this trip. And the jewel in the crown is their stunning resort on a private island, Lupita Island on Lake Tanganyika.

We had planned to arrive a day early, but after missing a series of connections due to airline delays, we arrived at Kilimanjaro International Airport in Arusha the night prior to the beginning of the trip. We were transported to the Arusha Coffee Lodge, where we met our safari guide and caught the tail end of the cocktail reception. Afterward, we were shown to the plantation house where we would stay for the night. It was welcome luxury after the two long days of travel from Austin, TX. Unfortunately, it was dark out so our first impressions of Africa would have to wait.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb