Half-way point in Arusha


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
July 26th 2011
Published: July 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Haven't blogged for awhile since really haven't had much to write about. Today. left at my usual time to catch the daladala (mini bus) for work (7:00 am) and thought it a bit odd not see any on the street. Waited for about 10 minutes when was told the daladala drivers are on strike today. Really no way to get to work since it is betwenn 45-75 minute ride to the hospice so walked back to house. Texted work to let them no I could not make it and decided I would go to the Rwanda genocide hearings today. There is a building in Arusha dedicated to the hearings and have been wanting to go. so perfect day since the hearings are only on Monday-Thursday. It is about brisk 30 minute walk to the hearing center. After going through security, find out the court is in recess until August 15. figures. On the walk back to the house stopped into a restaurant for some real filtered coffee and a chapati. Oh joy, haven't had real coffee for awhile, only get instant coffee (not real coffee IMHO) at the house. While enjoying the coffee and chapati, notice that there is a loud protest on the street and it is started to get pretty crazy. The owners of the restaurant closed the outside shutters preventing anyone from getting into the restaurant. Ok, a littl nerve wracking but have my nook, coffee and food. Next thing I know sounds like cannons are being shot into the street, an awful lot of noise and bang in the street but with the shutters down cannot see what is going on. Ok,have to admit at this point I am getting a little nervous. The staff is starting to scurry into a small room. The owner of the restaurant explains to me that the police are shooting tear gas into the crowd trying to break up rioting and not to go outside since it is unsafe. No problem there, who wants to be breathing tear gas??? Apparently, 2 months ago there were riots and seveal people were killed. Terrific. Waited about 45 minutes and was told it was ok to leave but should take a taxi home. Could not find a taxi so walked, about 10 minutes home. Have to admit there is a smell in the air which gets into the back of the throat and lungs. So now at grandma's house and finally have something to blog about.
Moved to grandma's house about 2 weeks ago. As a whole, it is a much better situation, cleaner and quieter but grandma is major pain. Lot's of rules, bosses me around, have to be home before the gate is locked or need to find another place to sleep for the night and mostly the food is just disgusting. She loves this banana stew that is served several times a week. I just gag on it and have a really difficult time trying to eat it. I can honestly say the only thing I like is the tomato and cucumber salad which is served with not very good pilau. Most of the food that is served is very bland, even the chapati is not good. I treat myself at least once a week to going out for a late lunch on the way home from the hospice. The Zebra Hotel has decent pizza for 7,500 TZ shilling (exchange rate is 1,500 shilling to 1 US dollar). Sometimes stop into the Greenhut restaurant (a local restaurnt) for samosas. Greenhut is very local, not tourtistic prices. There is a little mini shopping center near where I live that has a Shoprite (food store) and several touristic restaurants. Stiggbucks makes a decent chicken pesto sandwich 5,800 TZ schillings and there is a bar next to it. Have tried the Kilimanjaro and Serengetti beer and prefer the Serengetti beer. Fridays are my day to get a beer. Have not had any wine, shocking I know.
The volunteer work has changed a bit since I last blogged. Have been doing community visits several days a week, take the kids to Mt. Meru hospital when needed and when nothing else going on, spending the day at the hospice. The community visits are interesting but not exactly sure what we are accomplishing. Thankfully John, who is an employee of St. Lucia, goes with me on the visits and he translates for me, although I do not always understand what he is saying nor does he understand me all the time either. My Swahili is not that great. Have a handful expressions/words but working at it. We walk and walk to the various villages to visit very sick people. The constant theme is the people have no money cannot afford to buy food or the necessary medicine. I usually feel as though they expect me, the mzungu, to buy them food. At first felt as though I should be buying food but that is not possible or solves the problem. Not sure what the answer is, which is why I am questioning what is being accomplished by the visits. Once client, who has TB, was explaining how he is coughing up blood but has no money to get to the hospital. It is difficult knowing that people are very sick and dying and there is not infrastructure available to help them.
The kids at the hospice are very sweet and as the only volunteer, they hang all over me and tend to fight with each other for my attention. One little girl, Shamimu, is 5 years old and I take her to Mt. Meru hospital every week since she has acute pneumonia, anemia, malnurshed and TB. She and her mother were living on the street and in January were brought to the hospice. Two weeks ago, Shamimu's mother went to the hospital to be treated for what we thought was TB and never came back to St. Lucia. Winifredia, the founder of St. Lucia, spent several days trying to find Mama Shamimu but was not successful and believes Mama is back on the street. Granted, Mama has some serious mental problems. Feel bad for Shamimu since she keeps asking about her mum. Mt. Meru is the public hospital in Arusha and is a rather depressing place. Spend and awful lot of timse waiting to be seen. The TB ward is pretty awful, shabby place. Amazing the difference between Mulago and Mt. Meru, and not in a good way.
So this week is my 5th week volunteering in Tanzania,which marks the half way point for me. Can honestly say that I still prefer Uganda over Tanzania for several reasons. Am the only volunteer at both the hospice and home stay which makes it rather lonely. Alsfo preferred my homestay and volunteer work in Uganda more. And, despite the porshu and matoki, the food was better in Uganda. Oh yes, the mad texter is still around and met him Saturday night for drinks. Have to admit he is a bit much, overly friendly, not if that is normal in Africa, so glad had to get home or be trouble with grandma. All and all, glad I am volunteered and do not regret it. Is a pretty amazing experience, even the events of today. Hoping tomorrow things will be back to normal. Kawhari for now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb