Welcome to Tanzania


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
February 7th 2006
Published: March 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mount MeruMount MeruMount Meru

This is the big mountain near to Arusha which I am living on the slopes of (the picture is from the net but you can see how beautiful it is!)
Here I am in Tanzania! Its all a bit crazy but my journey started on the morning of february 2nd with a train journey from edinburgh waverly to london kings cross. I met up with Elsie (a fellow volunteer from Inverness) at the station at 9, we had met once before, and said our goodbyes to our parents.
We spent the journey playing cards and chatting but when we got to london the problems began namely- I couldn't lift my rucksack! we had to get an underground and a bus from kings to the airport and that was interesting! Anyway- at the airport we did some last minute shopping in Boots and then went to meet the others at Cafe Nero. We spent a couple of hours chatting to everyone and then it was time to check in...
Because me and elsie had already said goodbye to our families we were starting to get excited but all the others were just saying goodbye now so they were a bit down.
Once we had detached everyone from their parentals we went through to wait at the gate. Ellen's Mum and Dad had given her two bottles of Cava and some cups for us all to prepare for the flight, one of the corks came out nicely but the second went flying across the terminal and we all got sprayed!
I didn't much enjoy the flight because I couldn't sleep and felt sick and had sore ears and so on but I watched Will and Grace and read some magazines and chatted with Dave (who I am living with)
When we arrived in Dar Es Salam it was uber hot, we went though passport control and then had to wait for a bunch of hours so we did some more chatting and just enjoyed the sunshine!
After another short flight we arrived at Kilimanjaro International Airport where we met Mads (the Changing Worlds Rep) and three volunteers who have been here since september. We all piled onto a mini bus and started the drive to Arusha. We were staying in a hotel called the Outpost where we had dinner that night and then, at long last, went to bed! I shared a room with Ellen and Amalia who I will be sharing with for the next 6 months, luckily we get on really well (so far).
We stayed in the Outpost from the 3rd to the 7th of February and we spent these days going around the schools and house where we will be staying. We also had some free time in Arusha and went out for dinner twice. Once to Everest (a chinese place) and once to Masai Camp which is an actual campsite for backpackers but also has a resteraunt and bar.
We went to see Nkoaranga village where I am now living on Sunday the 5th and met Mr Emanuel whose house we are renting. He was very kind and welcoming as was his wife Mama Lydia. He took us on a tour round the village and showed us the hospital, orphanage, primary and secondary school.
After dinner on the 6th we packed our stuff away ready to leave for Nkoaranga the next morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb