Safari - day 24


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
July 7th 2007
Published: July 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in Arusha on Wednesday where we camped for a night before heading into the Serengeti National Park with a local tour company (our truck couldn't get into the park as the entry roads were too narrow and windy). I have now seen all of the big 5 as we saw 2 leopards in the Serengeti - one on our evening game drive and one on in the morning - it was quite dark both times though, so I haven't got very clear pictures. We also saw 4 cheetah on Thursday in the Serengeti - we spotted the first one in the grass and then followed it as it went over to a tree, where there were also three young cheetah sitting there! We camped in the Serengeti on Thurs night and then went to a Maasai village on Friday where we were entertained by the local tribe with dancing and spear throwing - they were all in traditional costume again and all very brightly coloured.

Friday evening we drove into the Ngorogoro Crater and camped at the top of it for a night - it was absolutely freezing - we all wore our woolly hats and socks to sleep in! When we went to bed there were two elephants on the edge of the campsite, and we were all quite nervous that they would trample us in the night, but they managed to avoid us for which we were all quite thankful. I did get up to go to the toilet in the middle of the night though, and saw a hyena, at which point my torch battery died! I ran back to the tent and got some more batteries but it had gone by the time I got back. When I tried to get back to sleep I could hear it eating out of the bin though!

We managed to see all of the big 5 again this morning on our game drive in the Ngorogoro Crater (that is leopard, lions, elephants, rhino and buffalo) - pretty good for a few hours drive! This afternoon we travelled back to the campsite in Arusha, and then tomorrow we go to Dar Es Salaam, and then on to Zanzibar the following day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb